September 18, 2021, 05:01:54 PM

Author Topic: Who packs a pistol?  (Read 40240 times)

Offline donny bowhunter

• View Profile
Re: Who packs a pistol?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
I carry glock model 23  40cal..

Offline backcountry_hunter

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
I do, butonly for two legged animals.

Offline Elk101 Admin

• Administrator
  • Raghorn
    • View Profile
    • elk101
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2017, 11:00:28 AM »
I do, small S&W .380 (feel a little safer). Mainly to warn off animals. I bivy camp. My hunting partner was bitten by a bear 2 years ago in his sleep. Test bite from a black bear. It now hangs on his wall with the help of his Colt .45. Idaho backcountry. I also hunt in mountain lion territory. I have seen 3 in the last 2 years and always seem to find their tracks overlapping ours, just feel a little safer at night with a pistol. 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:02:45 AM by Elk101 Admin »

Offline adamds22

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
This will be my first year carrying a pistol. I'll be carrying a Ruger 45 as I'm in some areas with a pretty high moose population and just makes me a little more comfortable!

Offline lang

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
Elk network just put out another study done that brings up another great point if you think you are going to stop a bear you have to hit the brain or spine-nothing else will stop a charging bear.  Again they stated that 98% of spray encounters ended without injury, but 1 in 4 of encounters with a firearm discharged ended in the human being injured or killed.  1 in 4!

Offline mikemulligan32

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »
I carry bear spray and a S&W 44mag airlite
That sidearm is a game changer. A revolver that weighs in at 24 oz is awesome. And not trying to be all "tough guy" but honestly most would think it would kick like a mule but even running 310 grain bear loads didn't seem to be bad at all.

Offline Bowhunter65

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 05:39:12 AM »
carry a 10mm with 200 grains of stop right there and I have a 13 year old son as a bowhunting buddy carrying bear spray.
Terry L. Zink

Offline montanaelk31

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
My buddy lives in Alaska.  He shot  a moose near a river with a friend.  They were within a couple hundred yards of the river and their boat so they got the animal quartered and ready to pack out.  They walked back to the boat to get their frame packs.  When they got back to the moose, a griz was on it and immediately charged. After knocking down his friend, my buddy pulled his 44 mag and yelled.  The bear came at him and he pulled the trigger once.  Dead bear at his feet.  250 grainers. Smaller grizzly but a 44 can do the job. Chest shot.   My buddy says his biggest mistake was not getting the meat away from the carcass bc they thought they'd be quick enough with the pack frames.  I agree.
Personally I carry both spray and a 44. I will go for the spray first. I think hunting with a friend is the safest thing we can do in the mountains.  Just my .02
"The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Offline Kdkehoe

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »
I live in western Montana, where grizzly and black bear are very common.  Anymore in certain regions it's not uncommon during rifle season to hear of someone killing an elk and having someone stand "guard" with a rifle while the partner guts it out.

During archery I carry a 10mm Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore hard cast loads.   I feel confident in dropping a grid if need be. Granted something that big and pissed will still be moving even if you got a couple rounds off.  A grizzly is my main concern as a predator or concern to humans where I hunt.  Then followed by cats and then wolves. I've done a few loops in snow in November only to find big wolf tracks next to or in my own. Creepy.  I also know a few dudes that carry a .454 Casull. Here in Griz country we can't afford to mess around. Too many guys gets charged, mauled and eaten to consider anything that wouldn't cause the most damage possible to the biggest predator. I don't feel safe without my spray and my 10mm.
Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife. -R.K

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
I carry a .40 caliber handgun with me. I don't hunt in grizzly country, but there are plenty of black bears and cats around. I shouldn't ever have an encounter but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Bull_Fighter

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
I pack a S&W .44 mag. It's heavy as hell but worth it to me as I typically backpack hunt, solo. Had a couple of close encounters with black bear and moose, but haven't had to use it yet.

I sleep with it in my hammock with me. I've had coyotes surrounding me as I slept and also had moose within a couple feet of me but I'm always half-asleep and just yell at them in some mumbling half-assed manner and fall right back asleep. I think it would take something actually attacking me in order to feel the need to use the gun, but I feel safer having it there either way.

Offline neckofredness

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
Always carry. in my mind it is an essential piece of gear. as far as caliber..... anything is better than nothing. so take what you are comfortable with. don't need a dang hand cannon.

Offline Zimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
Glock APC 45
Zimmy

Offline Dustinlm

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
I carry a colt .45 in hopes that a bear isn't what I have to use it for. However, when I'm bowhunting I do carry a bear tag just in case!

Offline azhunting

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
Springfield XDS .45

Recent Posts

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by Jason Balazs
[September 17, 2021, 06:23:19 PM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 14, 2021, 07:33:25 AM]

Re: arrow penetration on big bull by cohunter14
[September 14, 2021, 07:30:51 AM]