August 14, 2020, 07:14:00 AM

Author Topic: Wind...  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Rich Z

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
Wind...
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
Please educate this flatlander on the wests winds

Here in the mid west you can pretty much count on the wind coming out of the west, it could be would southwest or northwest or even straight out of the west but usually west of some sort.

My question is. What is the prevailing wind in the western states like Colorado or Wyoming. One of the reasons I'm asking is I want to know where I should set up camp once I find where the elk are.

Offline turbo1967

• Satelite Bull
  • off4elk
    • View Profile
Re: Wind...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
In general westerly no matter where you are but on the mountian every hill and gultch is different and time of day and warn weather or cold weather can change it all. If you are camping close to the elk you need to call it when you get there.If you are camping a little way away as I would recomend then its more about what direction you want to enter the area in the morning.There again that depends on the terain.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:55:26 PM by turbo1967 »
Bury me with my bow,I will die with it in my hands hunting elk.

Offline Montana_BackCountry

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:37:26 PM »
I'd agree that a west to east wind is most likely. However, the a.m. and p.m. thermal drafts are more what i watch.  "hunt with the sun" up hill in the morning and downhill at night after the thermal drafts turn.  Of course weather systems goof this up sometimes but I've noticed it makes a big difference.

Offline uphill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »
When fighting fires I learned that cold air moves down hill ,    warm air moves up.  Depends where you are and what is going on around you.  I have a spot where the wind goes down hill pretty much all day long.

Offline decoste77

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »
I agree strongly with Montana back country he said it just right the mountains make there own weather.

Offline Idaho_Elk_DIY

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
I agree strongly with Montana back country he said it just right the mountains make there own weather.

Agreed. It usually ends up changing the second you think you have figured out. For me wind is one of the hardest parts of elk hunting. Especially heading in to the afternoon and early evening hours.

Offline BullHunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »

Agreed. It usually ends up changing the second you think you have figured out. For me wind is one of the hardest parts of elk hunting. Especially heading in to the afternoon and early evening hours.

Completely agree.  It always seems to change up you the minute you need it to be in your favor.  I have had it happen to me many times but thats the challange of bow hunting and thats what keeps me coming back.  A person may be able to out smart an elk but you will never out smart the wind. 
Broadhead Brotherhood - Pro Staff
Side Hill Archery - Field Staff
Maximum Insanity Outdoors - Field Staff
FieldLogic- Pro Staff

2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo
Side Hill Archery Strings
Montana Black Gold Ascent 5pin adjustable
Ripcord Code red drop away
Tightspot quiver

Recent Posts

Re: Sitka Sub Alpine System For Sale by woodardd
[August 13, 2020, 07:42:07 PM]