March 04, 2021, 02:20:51 AM

Author Topic: Whole New Respect  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Matt Burke

• View Profile
Whole New Respect
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »

I recently spent countless hours hunting a particular Muley in the Tucson Mountains. Each time I went out, I encountered him. Unfortunately, his instinct out-witted my archer capability. I stalked within 90 yards, and set-up an ambush without avail. Each time he would maneuver out of ethical shooting distance. He never knew I was there multiple times, but seem to make the right decisions to stay alive. I use to think of Archery hunting as challenging. Now I think it plain difficult. My hats off to those hard working successful bow hunters.

Offline dplumlee12

• Raghorn
  • Nevada
    • View Profile
Re: Whole New Respect
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
I agree with everything you said.  I also THINK that trying to stalk a muley with a bow could probably be one of the most difficult things to do.  Its one of the reasons I'm not even thinking archery when it comes to deer hunting here in Nevada.  I just don't think I'm good enough to get close unless I sit a water hole and get LUCKY!
Worst day hunting better than the best day working!

Offline bakkaotaku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »
I do not think I would have the patience to after mule deer with my bow. I think I will stick to whitetail and Hog.

Offline RockyMountainHi

• Raghorn
  • Boise, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
I am sure that there are tricks and advantages that you can and will learn as it relates to stalking muleys but you either need a master who has been there/done that before or else learn from the school of hard knocks.  Best of luck as you have my respect!

Offline NolanOutdoors

• View Profile
    • NolanOutdoors
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
If you kill it with a bow, what ever it is, you are the MAN. Killing stuff with a bow is no easy feat.
Don't let your want to overload you know better

Offline Mountain Bowhunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »
a lot of people don't understand how difficult is, but that is why i love it. 
Hoyt Spyder 34 Blackout--Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg--QAD Ultrarest HDX--Fuse Carbon Blade Hunter 11.5"--Carter Chocolate Lite--Gold Tip Pro Hunter--Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Load Sling Multicam--MSR Hubba-Big Agnes Yampa--Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe--Bark River Bushcrafter

Offline Eagle1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:45:53 AM »
I totaly understand what you are saying. Here in the sage brush and open wheat fields of central washington bow hunting is a challenge. I have not gotten a buck with my bow yet, even though I am addicted to the challenges that are presented, I will keep going succeed oneday. ;D

Offline rkkmeyers

• pure protein sustenance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:58:53 PM »
I will be heading into the Santa Ritas in the morning to chase Javelina and antlers. i hope i wrap a tag or 2.

Offline GoatT

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
This is the sole reason that I love Bowhunting.  It is really easy to sit on a mountain with a rifle and take your animal at long distances, it is another to get into their house and get close to a Muley with a bow and kill one successfully. 

That is why I love the challenge.   

Recent Posts

Re: Colorado or Oregon by Elk Noob
[March 03, 2021, 09:06:02 AM]

Re: Colorado or Oregon by Rdub
[March 02, 2021, 06:58:50 PM]

Re: Colorado or Oregon by cohunter14
[March 02, 2021, 02:22:10 PM]

Re: Colorado or Oregon by Elk Noob
[March 02, 2021, 08:19:15 AM]

Colorado or Oregon by steelheadboy
[March 02, 2021, 07:58:55 AM]