September 20, 2021, 08:37:37 PM

Author Topic: What's everyone doing to stay in shape these last few weeks before archery elk?  (Read 10764 times)

Bull_Fighter

I'm suppose to be behaving right now with elk season so close, but I'm in England right now and I just couldn't say no to these full English breakfasts.... ;)

Looks like I'll be increasing my cardio today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks healthy to me!

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
Im about a week away from leaving and I generally just focus on hiking, cardio, and core type stuff. Nothing crazy because we don't need any last minute injuries.....

It's almost go time!

Offline montanaelk31

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
Im about a week away from leaving and I generally just focus on hiking, cardio, and core type stuff. Nothing crazy because we don't need any last minute injuries.....

It's almost go time!

Absolutely avoiding injury with 7 days til go time. Jogging and hiking is all!
"The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Offline Kdkehoe

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
I've been trying to do double time everything I do at work (landscaping). Within reason double the load and push myself to a hustle just below a slow jog keep the heart rate up and muscles moving. I keep my pack on my back around the house as well with 30-50 pounds.   My wife has some interesting comments at times. For example this evening it was no words, just a look as I was rocking out 8mo old to sleep bottle in hand. Mystery ranch weighted on my back lol
Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife. -R.K

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
This trip to England has killed me a little.... well, it may have been more of a self inflicted wound ;)

I keep finding meals like this
No worries though. I fly home today and will be able to finish out this last week with some extremely long morning hikes.  I generally get up at 3am to start transitioning into my hunting schedule and I'll hike for 90-120 minutes. 

Have I mentioned that I'm ready for elk season to be here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dru.bishop73

• View Profile
I really put in the effort this year.  Down 35 lbs from cardio and eating right.  Started X-Fit for the very first time about 3-4 months ago and I have really seen a big difference in my strength.  Still running 2-3 days a week.  I leave for WY in two weeks, so will begin tapering off after next week.  Staying light on the lifts.  Been thinking about doing a yoga class at the Y too.  Never done one but worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Offline sltram

• View Profile
In previous few years I started working out in Spring, but this time I started working out for this season right after the end of last season.
Workout 5-6 days a week for the most part.
Work outs have varied....Cardio is always knee friendly.
My single and only focus for going to the gym is Archery Elk hunting.

I feel the better shape I am in, the more I will be able to persevere.

Offline dru.bishop73

• View Profile
In previous few years I started working out in Spring, but this time I started working out for this season right after the end of last season.
Workout 5-6 days a week for the most part.
Work outs have varied....Cardio is always knee friendly.

Same here.  Got a 10 day hunt coming in 2 weeks.  I know its going to be tough, but after putting all this work into it i dont want to miss a single minute.  I know that will motivate me every time I feel tired and cold and just want to hit the snooze button and roll over. 

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile

I do the same thing...sure makes working out a heck of a lot easier!

Offline hawker

• View Profile
About 2yrs ago I started a program call MaxWorkouts. It's a combination of HIIT and cardio using weights, body weight and sprinting.
What I like most about it is the length of the workout, 20 to 30 mins max. If done correctly after 30mins you're cooked anyway. I try to workout 6 days a week year round. I'm 62yrs, 6'3" and was 245 plus, now down to just over 200lbs. I now just bury the young guys on the mountain!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:45:52 PM by hawker »
You will never know how far you can go until you have risked going too far

Offline hucklberryMT

• View Profile
Put on a pack, put some rocks in it and climb the same route 2-3 times per week. I try to stay around 1500 vert climb.  Time yourself each time and always beat your last time.  I dump the rocks out at the top.   

Offline Alder

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Taekwondo workouts are my regular tear down push. Now I am doing extra push-ups and short runs. Just adding in a 1.5 mile run is getting me that extra edge to hike hard. Still do regular long hikes as well.

Offline patch1010

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Bull_fighter, This looks like a good idea, I think I'll give the youtube video a try. Foam rolling is great, I found that if I use several different sizes of foam rollers, I get more out of my foam roller sessions.

-Before bed I will do a 12 min Yoga infused stretch routine. I actually perform this youtube video https://youtu.be/fxsQr7YOq7o After that I will foam roll my back and legs. This is probably the most important this to do for recovering on how hard I push myself.

Thanks for the Yoga tip. I'm going to try this video. Been wanting to do a bit more stretching and never really tried Yoga.
Patch
Soaring Eagles 4-H
Outdoor Adventures &
Archery Shooting Sports
Idaho Bow Hunting Safety Instructor
(Grab a bow and take a kid hunting)

Offline patch1010

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Since Afghanistan, my health has gone down hill. I exercise using the TRX suspension trainer, and I ride a recumbent trike off road. I also try to get some road miles in doing sprints and hills. https://adaptivetrails.com/

Patch
Soaring Eagles 4-H
Outdoor Adventures &
Archery Shooting Sports
Idaho Bow Hunting Safety Instructor
(Grab a bow and take a kid hunting)

Bull_Fighter

Since Afghanistan, my health has gone down hill. I exercise using the TRX suspension trainer, and I ride a recumbent trike off road. I also try to get some road miles in doing sprints and hills. https://adaptivetrails.com/

Good tip on the foam rolling. My son uses one for his HS cross country and track training. I should be taking lessons from him! Maybe I'll borrow his and see how I feel after.

How do you like the TRX suspension? I've seen this at my gym but never used it.

Also, thank you for your service in Afghanistan!

Recent Posts

New scope by Rdub
[Today at 04:55:42 PM]

Re: Colorado GMU 70 by iamsteve03
[Today at 12:52:48 PM]

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by cohunter14
[September 19, 2021, 08:40:43 AM]

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by Jason Balazs
[September 17, 2021, 06:23:19 PM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 14, 2021, 07:33:25 AM]