June 04, 2020, 08:03:34 AM

Author Topic: tenzing pack question.  (Read 3679 times)

Offline kurt72

• View Profile
tenzing pack question.
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
I will be going to Colorado in September.i have to get a good bit of gear for my trip so I'm not trying to remortgage my house for the trip.i have seen some talk about these packs.we will be setting up a base camp but me and another guy may go out on our own for a day or so.im just trying to figure out what size pack would be best to get.i hate to go to big that I wouldn't be able to use it just going for the day and to small I wouldn't have enough room for what I need for a day or so away from camp.sure these questions have been talked about.any info will be appreciated.thank you

Offline buglelk

• Administrator
  • Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
    • Elk101.com
Re: tenzing pack question.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »
Hey Kurt!

Backpacks are always a tough one as everyone will have a recommendation, but here is mine...  ;D

I would look at the EXO 3500 for what you are looking at doing. The EXO only weighs about 4 pounds, so it is lightweight for day hunts. Plus, it compacts down really small for those day hunts. The really nice thing about the EXO pack is that it carries as much weight as you want to put on it. So, if you get an elk, you can also pack the elk out with the same pack. At 3500 ci, it is plenty of capacity for 3-4 nights of bivy hunting as well. I know it is a little more money than an equivalent Tenzing pack, but it is the most efficient "cross-over" pack I have ever used, and it is well worth the few extra dollars investment.
Corey Jacobsen
www.Elk101.com

Offline kurt72

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
ok thanks I will look into it.thanks for the info.does this pack come with frame or do I have to purchase it separately.i read some reviews and seems like a great choice.kinda spendy but I know you get what you pay for.and working with a limited budget but if it has the frame with it I will probably go for it.im sure the wife will have a fit when I tell her the price but.im sure I will get years of use out of it.im hoping my trip this year will lead to many more years of trips.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:52:57 PM by kurt72 »

Offline lcgordon711

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
I am pretty sure they have frames. I dont know much about the EXO packs but I would recommend buying a pack that allows you to buy other size bags down the road to go bigger or smaller if need be just so you have that option. 

Offline backcountry_hunter

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:49:13 AM »
The exo's come with a titanium frame. I don't know much about EXO but have used tenzing plenty. This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth:

Tenzing has some of the best marketing/endorsements in the industry. Their ads are everywhere and they have some high profile people using their packs. The packs themselves are sharp looking and in stores appear to be really good value. In the field my experience was mediocre at best. It was uncomfortable under loads and the biggest complaint for me was the load lifters simply didn't work. Under load, the pack sagged badly and I couldn't bring it up any. IMO there's better packs out there in this price range. Horn hunter FC and Crooked Horn high country II are both $300ish, USA made, and phenomenal packs for the value. EXO, kuiu, MR, kifaru, stone glacier.... getting into this tier they're all really excellent packs and it all depends what your flavor is. I have a kuiu, MR, and picked up a kifaru this year. All have their pros cons for different scenarios. Everyone I know thats bought a EXO had had nothing but great things to say. Other than boots and optics, there's probably no other piece of gear I'd recommend really going big on. Buy once cry once...

Offline kurt72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
thank you for the info.i will probably go with the exo.optics I plan on going with vortex diamonbacks seems like everyone has good things to say about them.boots is another can of worms with me.i am a concrete finisher and have spent a ton of money on boots over the years.i will be trying out several different pair.i have been a fan of lacrosse for years but have tried many others if any input on boots just let me know and I will look at options there also.thank you again.

Offline backcountry_hunter

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
My buddy/co-worker has a pair of diamond backs and I've spent a fair amount of time behind his. Honestly for $200 it's tough to find anything wrong with them.... As long as you're not expecting euro type glass out of them they are a tremendous value.

Boots: Lowa, Zamberlan, Crispi, Hanwag, Kenetrek, Meindl, Salewa, etc... Try on as many as you can. Certain one's fit/work. Certain one's won't. My feet hated kenetreks but I have buddies that swear by them and vice versa. Getting into that price range they will all be well constructed and exhibit fine craftsmanship. It's finding which one's nuances will work for your feet.

Offline kurt72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
ok thank you for the info.ill be checking into boots soon

Offline Turnercody

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
You will not go wrong with Exo. Exo has tons of videos displaying their packs. how to use them, how the accessories work with the pack, how to fit the pack to you. even on elk university there is a great video with Corey and Steve doing a demo on the pack.  and they load it up!!!  just recently at the western hunt expo, i tried on the exo with 80lbs and walked over and tried the kifaru pack with 80lbs , in my personal opinion the exo had it beat hands down. and yes you can buy the 3500 pack and later buy just the 2000'' bag cuz the bag comes off the frame..  theres a video on there website demonstrating this.  and if you buy this year , they have some new accesories and a new cool ranger green color   looks totally awesome  my two cents  good luck

Offline Turnercody

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »
oh and dont try on the crispi ...  you will love them and have to have them. i recently tried those on as well and they are the best boot ive ever put on my feet   i had to go with wides but all i can say is wow

Offline kurt72

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »
ok thanks I am going to go with the exo.i figure bigger is always better and I will have it for future hunts if I make it again.and can always use it here white tail hunting or hiking.thanks ago on the info.

Recent Posts

Re: Check your Credit Cards - Colorado by cohunter14
[Today at 07:50:58 AM]

Re: Check your Credit Cards - Colorado by Elk Noob
[June 03, 2020, 01:07:55 PM]

Re: Check your Credit Cards - Colorado by Rdub
[June 03, 2020, 10:39:33 AM]

Re: AFFORDABLE PLACE TO HUNT ELK by Wyo67
[June 03, 2020, 10:00:44 AM]

Re: Check your Credit Cards - Colorado by cohunter14
[June 03, 2020, 08:59:03 AM]