April 06, 2020, 07:33:10 PM

Author Topic: Which game bags are you using for elk?  (Read 7392 times)

Offline va_elk

• View Profile
Re: Which game bags are you using for elk?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
OTC will, are those the Allen brand that Walmart carries?  If so will have to stock up as they are pretty cheap here as well.

Offline Eh_bearoutdoors

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 11:37:59 PM »
Tag bags also here.....thinking of getting a set of black ovis ones as they are cheaper and always seem to be on sale.
Addicted to the Outdoors

Follow Eh_bearoutdoors on instagram

Offline kyarcher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
I just picked up a set of BlackOvis from Camofire.com that were discounted.  Hopefully I will get to use them this year.

Offline Turnercody

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
I guess I've never seen these wall Mart game bags.. I feel skeptical about them tho.. for $40 on camofire, the black ovis elk bags are money. Comes with 4 quarter bags and one meat bag.  There just as good  as kuiu or caribou . I don't agree that game bags are a gimic of the hunting industry.. anyone that would admit to losing meat to flies or dirt or whatever will testify to this.   anything  (within reason)  that aids in getting my meat off the mtn unspoiled is worth it to me.. I've put 3 elk in mine last year and being able to hose them off and use them again is a good investment to me. I don't see myself buying any for awhile.

Offline WW

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
If your local Wally World doesn't stock the Allen game bags, I think the Remington ones are the same thing.

They can be washed and reused several times. I consider them to be a multi-use item. They can be used as a sling for an injured arm, a pillow, a bandage, or just about anything else you can think of. Also, when you vacuum seal them like I do, they make an excellent liner for the bottom of your pack and take up very little room at all.

Offline buglelk

• Administrator
  • Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
    • Elk101.com
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 11:04:16 AM »
Hey guys!

Just a few things to consider....

There are 2 types of Alaskan Game Bags.....the cheaper 'cheesecloth' type bags that usually run very badly and are very susceptible to tears and bugs/dirt getting through. They also have the 'Northern' style of bags that are not rolled, and are made with a completely different material. The 'Northern' style bags by Alaska Game Bags are much more durable and for the money, are a great option.

The other thing I want to mention is that I would strongly suggest staying away from cotton (i.e., pillowcases). Cotton will hold moisture, and moisture against the meat for a prolonged period can be bad. Most of the 'brand' game bags mentioned are synthetic material, and definitely the way to go.

I actually took 5 different 'brand' game bags with me on my Idaho elk hunt last year, and used one bag from each brand on my elk. I am working on editing the review to show the differences, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Black Ovis, Caribou, Alaska (Northern), or TAGS. Black Ovis and Caribou were the top 2 in my experience.

Just FYI... :-)
Corey Jacobsen
www.Elk101.com

Offline Turnercody

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
hey corey     look forward to that review ...

Offline ZB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
I used the Black Ovis bags last fall.  I was very impressed with them and they were easy to use.  They also come in a nice package that doesn't take up a lot of space in your pack.

Offline bryan m

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
I've used bags by Ajillis for two seasons now and have been very pleased. I have hauled 1 elk, 2 antelope, and 4 whitetails with the same set and they are still in good shape. Easy to clean and fairly cheap on ebay.

Offline inzane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 12:12:10 PM »
I've just used the cheesecloth bags in the past but I wasn't traveling too far from home. I have a 2000 mile trip now so I upgraded to the caribou wapiti game bags. Gonna give those a try, looks to be a good bag that a lot of people are using. We shall see.

Offline DudeOfColorado

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
I personally prefer the TagBag BOMB kit for backcountry. Caribou Gear bags are just as nice. Last year, 4 of us took an elk out of a very steep valley. With bone on and tight straps on pack, doesn't matter as much until the meat makes it into a tree. Everyone raved about my TagBags. I've since picked up the BlackOvis version to test out this coming year.

Offline oregonbowhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
Caribou game bags for me the last 4 years have worked great!

Offline Gcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
I've used the same Caribou bags the last 3 seasons.  Hauled 3 elk and 1 deer in them.  Still in great shape and working well.  Highly recommend them.  Just wash them every time you use them and they're good to go.

Offline mckayam1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
I use cheap ones from Walmart and I get years and years of use out of them.  Fancy gamebags are as much a gimic as scent killer dryer sheets IMO
Are they called anything specific?  The ones at Walmart

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline patch1010

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »
I use Jimmy Tarps game bags any more. I have 2 years and 3 elk in them so far. They clean right up.
https://www.facebook.com/JimmyTarps/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:49:16 AM by cohunter14 »
Patch
Soaring Eagles 4-H
Outdoor Adventures &
Archery Shooting Sports
Idaho Bow Hunting Safety Instructor
(Grab a bow and take a kid hunting)

Recent Posts

Re: The tags are applied for and the clock is ticking..... by Rdub
[April 03, 2020, 07:59:38 PM]

Re: Preference points and tags by Rdub