July 05, 2020, 02:00:04 AM

Author Topic: Making a seminar  (Read 1444 times)

Making a seminar
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »
Hey guys !

I\'m getting calls to do seminars at shows. If you were going to attend a seminar what would interest you ?  More calling stuff (instruction)? Maybe more about strategies ?

Throw me out some of your thoughts please. I\'d like to be different then everyone else out there as the basics are kind of boring as I\'m sure you will all agree. Listening to some guy blab about the same stuff over and over is boring in my book !!

Thanks guys ! Oh I plan on having the crowd very interactive as well.

Trav

Offline iccyman001

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Making a seminar
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:20:17 AM »
That is so amazing!!! I hope I can make it to one of your seminars!!

Offline cnelk

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:25:28 AM »
Travis
I think it would be cool for you to invite a member of the audience up on the stage with you.
Give them a mouth reed, and both of you do a short calling session.
Discuss some things and at the end, the participant gets to keep the call!

Offline otcWill

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:41:12 AM »
Myself, I like talking about specific, real scenarios and how they played out.  Rather than talking about \"if\" you run into this, how bout asking someone for a specific failed attempt or close call and let them know how you would have acted/responded.  I feel that actual scenarios are the best topics on forums rather than the imaginary ones.  I\'ve never seen anyone try this in a seminar (asking the crowd for a topic or story).  This would certainly gain the attention of your audience and surely separate you from the average \"empty\" topics.  Good luck!

Offline Swede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »
I like Will\'s idea about giving your real life situations.  Show people how you called in different situations, and let them in on when to be calling, and even when to be quiet and patient.  I would answer specific questions, but be careful about taking on scenarios from the crowd.  You will step into someone\'s trap.  Let the audience know it is your opinion based on your experience.  The guy in the audience wants to show you he is an the expert too.  Travis, you are an elk calling expert.  Base your talks on that.  Have fun and your audiences will enjoy it too.
Let us know when and where you will be speaking.  I would to see you at the Northwest Sportsman Show.  They have had Glen Berry there too many years.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
Awesome guys. Keep your ideas coming.

I usually hand out reeds to the audience and we all get to call. These ones are very fun and lots of laughs too.

Trav

Offline cnelk

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
yeah, let us know your tour schedule!
[I would like to attend and at least be a heckler :) ]

Offline Deertick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »
Quote from: \"cnelk\"
yeah, let us know your tour schedule!
[I would like to attend and at least be a heckler :) ]

I would suggest to make a \"mistake\" on the date when you tell Brad about it. Add 1 to the date.

Offline Swede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »
If cnelk finds your schedule, and shows up at a seminar, you could point him out in the crowd.  Then tell your audience Brad has described his hunting techniques, and you will use those stories to show people what not to do.  Just keep Brad on the defensive and you will do ok.   :D

Offline Jaquomo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
I\'ve done many seminars, and as Will and Swede suggested, what people like is to have the information sprinkled in to illustrate stories.  Too much raw information is, frankly TMI.  Leave them with four or five main ideas to digest.  Humor is important.  So are some good slides to illustrate your talk.  You don\'t talk to the slides - rather the slides in the background illustrate what you are talking about.  Lots of props are good, too.  Audience participation is a positive.  Get a couple up for an impromptu \"contest\" of some sort, with some little giveaway.  (I studied this stuff in college - used to be an Interpretive Naturalist in mountain park systems, so I did this all the time for a living.  had \"ranger groupies\" too, but that\'s another story...   :D )  

At one of Jim Zumbo\'s seminars at the International Expo about 20 years ago, he asked for everyone who had killed an elk to stand.  Then only those who had killed more than one bull, then a six point bull, then with a bow, then more than one with a bow, etc..  Pretty soon I was the only one left standing, and he said I should be giving the talk instead of him.  I felt like a rock star and it was cool to be recognized like that.

I\'m doing the keynote dinner presentation for the Kansas State Bowhunter\'s Association annual banquet, on DIY elk hunting.  That topic is really wide open and I\'m having a tough time narrowing the talk down to only 45 minutes.  I may be coming back to you guys for suggestions on what would be the most important things for a flatlander to consider.  Will really helped me out on an article on elk hunting for eastern whitetail guys.  (BTW, Will, that new magazine is still being prepped for release next spring.  I\'ll let you know when.)
[i:3hbiiwmb][b:3hbiiwmb]The older I get, the better I was![/b:3hbiiwmb][/i:3hbiiwmb]

Offline cnelk

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
Sweet Lou!

Offline >>>---WW---->

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
I think the more seasoned hunters go to seminars in hopes of picking up something new to add to their bag of tricks. But probably the bulk of the crowd is just trying to learn anything they can.

Remember the bugle I said I picked up on that most guys would have missed. That might be a good base to work around. although I hate to let that cat out of the bag. LOL!

Look around and see what the other guys are doing. Jim Horn gives a good one on early season hunting. Wayne Carlton puts on a great entertaining show but doesn\'t really tell you all that much. Corey Jacobsen has several different versions of basically the same thing. Those are just some examples.

Maybe you could explain why you cut the tape on your reeds like you do. It doesn\'t neccesarley have to be all about elk calling.
If your eyelashes don't fall off just from looking at your broadheads, they ain't sharp enough!

Offline Jaquomo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
I\'ve attended a few seminars given by famous, super successful bowhunters that had people nodding off within the first ten minutes.  The material may have been great, but the presentation and delivery was zzzzzzzzz. If people aren\'t leaning forward and nodding and smiling during mine, I know I\'m having a bad night and need to pick it up a bit.

Travis, in your case, I think there will be a lot of interest in why you design the calls the way you do to get certain sounds.  That would be a good opportunity to get a few on stage, put the calls in their mouths, and see if they can mimic what you\'re doing. Then they get to keep the reed.
[i:3hbiiwmb][b:3hbiiwmb]The older I get, the better I was![/b:3hbiiwmb][/i:3hbiiwmb]

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »
Great stuff coming in so far guys !!

WW Lets keep our bugle between us !! LOL Although all the video footage I was planning on showing clips on will have that bugle more often then not !! Especially when the bulls show up !! HEHE !!

I love the crowd interaction and the actual failed attempts on a bulls during the calling season. Man I have lots of failed call ins !!

Also I\'m planning on hat give away type stuff. Maybe contest for gift cards !!

I\'m also planning a copy of sure fire tips and video of blown opportunities...............cnelk style !!!!! LMAO oh ya there will be a video !!!

Trav..............still LOL !!

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
Guys I don\'t know if I can let these people keep the reeds after the seminar as I have all your orders to fill !!!!!!! LOL

Pre stretched and ready to go !!

Recent Posts

Re: Open reed calls by ribo451
[July 04, 2020, 09:14:36 PM]

Re: physical conditioning: navy seal workout by elk sicario
[July 03, 2020, 11:10:38 AM]

Re: Open reed calls by cohunter14
[July 03, 2020, 06:44:21 AM]

Open reed calls by Spcfoor
[July 02, 2020, 08:41:18 PM]

Re: Arrow weight with short draw length by Spcfoor
[July 02, 2020, 07:34:28 PM]