July 14, 2020, 10:30:11 AM

Author Topic: Single versus multi pin sight set-up  (Read 3394 times)

Offline nclonghunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Single versus multi pin sight set-up
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 08:12:46 AM »
Prior to elk hunting I used a one pin sight for deer hunting (did not use it as a slide pin sight). I also sighted it in for what I saw as 25 yards rather than an actual measured distance. I did not use a rangefinder. When I started elk hunting and saw the possibilities of longer shots I purchased a rangefinder and a multi pin sight. With the aid of the rangefinder I feel confident in the longer distance.  I just do not want to take the time or movement to use a one pin sliding sight. The rangefinder takes care of the guess work.
If wisdom is the reward for aging, I will always be young

Offline Rdub

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »
Have always used a fixed Spot Hogg SDP. Have learned to rangefind using it.
Never say couldve, shouldve or wouldve, live every moment

Randy

Offline Bowhunter1

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »
Have always used a fixed Spot Hogg SDP. Have learned to rangefind using it.

:upthumb: That is something I would like to learn. It could come in handy someday.
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - but the size of the fight in the dog. "

Offline Rdub

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 06:42:52 PM »
Height of the animal from bottom of the sight. Took a few hundred arrows at the range to get it right. Backstops were large bales, 1-1/2 high is just about the vitals on an elk. Look through sight at different ranges and see how many pins high that is.
Never say couldve, shouldve or wouldve, live every moment

Randy

Offline 406unltd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 06:15:35 AM »
Single pins for me on both my rigs.  I took a little of my wifes nail polish and put nice white dots on the post giving me 4 pins.  This allows me to have my dial set at 20 and gives me dots out to 50 yards without having to move the slider until 60 or more. I tested This setup in low light and not only is it easily visible but Ive found it to be just as accurate as using the fiber at those distances since it is pretty close.  Definitely not as good as having all fibers but a happy medium that Im satisfied with.

Offline Canvasman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
Single pins for me on both my rigs.  I took a little of my wifes nail polish and put nice white dots on the post giving me 4 pins.  This allows me to have my dial set at 20 and gives me dots out to 50 yards without having to move the slider until 60 or more. I tested This setup in low light and not only is it easily visible but Ive found it to be just as accurate as using the fiber at those distances since it is pretty close.  Definitely not as good as having all fibers but a happy medium that Im satisfied with.

GREAT IDEA WITH THE NAIL POLISH.

Offline Bull_Fighter

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
I use a single-pin and love it. I practice shooting 10-40 yards with the pin set at 30 so that I am confident if there is not enough time to adjust my sight when an animal is approaching.
I like the nail polish idea for longer yardage and will probably be making a few marks on my sight tonight.

Offline wyodanjar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
I've stuck with the multi pin. In the heat of the moment single pin can work, but I'd rather have the extra boost of confidence the multi pin allows, atleast for my hunting style

Offline 87TT

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »
Montana Black Gold accent verdict all the way. 1, 3, 5 pin.

Recent Posts

Re: Are elk hunters social distancing? by paelk
[July 13, 2020, 06:45:27 AM]

Re: Mt Lion Hunt by Okieelk
[July 11, 2020, 09:31:06 PM]

Re: physical conditioning: navy seal workout by steelheadboy
[July 11, 2020, 12:29:41 PM]

Re: Are elk hunters social distancing? by lang
[July 11, 2020, 11:14:02 AM]

Re: Bear video by lang
[July 11, 2020, 11:09:38 AM]