September 26, 2021, 03:41:23 AM

Author Topic: Bugle for a first time caller  (Read 5996 times)

Offline arg1574

• View Profile
Bugle for a first time caller
« on: April 18, 2018, 01:27:34 AM »
Im hunting the rut for the first time this fall.  Im looking for advice on a bugle. Ive never used a call before, so Im looking for something forgiving. Do I go with a diaphragm with tube or one of the tubes with a built in diaphragm? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Bugle for a first time caller
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 06:48:17 AM »
I much prefer using a diaphragm and tube over the ones with it built in.
I am able to sound different than the guys who have the same sounding one.

It's also easier for me to transition from cow calling into bugles or vice versa!

Offline Wyo67

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:57 AM »
Diaphram.  Generally you can tell when its a human with one of the snap-on reeds bugling. 

Offline sweetroll

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
Diaphragm. I got a few this year and have been working on it in the car during commutes. There are many YouTube videos that show the basics. Rocky Jacobson has a great one.  Just think of it as an instrument that takes practice but can be a lot of fun.  I think it helps to get me in the mindset of talking like an elk as well rather than just bugling my read end off.

Bull_Fighter

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
If you want something forgiving but doesn't sound as realistic or unique, go with the tube with built-in diaphragm. If you want to sound the best you can and are willing to put in some practice, use a diaphragm and separate bugle tube.

I've tried the "select-a-bull" bugle system from Rocky Mountain Game Calls and it actually sounds pretty good. However, for me, there's no replacement for the classic diaphragm and separate bugle tube. You can make pretty much any elk sound with a diaphragm and tube. With the built-in version, you're pretty much limited to contact bugles.

As sweetroll mentioned, practicing in the car while commuting works great. You can bugle your head off and nobody can hear you.

Offline arg1574

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
Thanks everybody for the input. I guess Ill get myself a diaphragm and tube and start practicing.

Offline WW

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »
No doubt, if you know how to use one, a diaphragm is the way to go. But some guys just can't use one and it does take some time to learn. So if you encounter problems you might try the E.L.K. Inc. Power Bugle.

Offline cnelk

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
X2 for the E.L.K. Power bugle with the external mouthpiece for those learning to bugle.
Be sure to get some extra white bands

Offline arg1574

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »
WW and cnelk thanks for the input. Ill make that my plan b if I cant get a handle on the diaphragm call.

Offline WapitiJoeNM

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »
Diaphram.  Generally you can tell when its a human with one of the snap-on reeds bugling.

Definitely agree on the diaphragm but wanted to give an important tip. Be careful of not checking out calls under the assumption that it is another hunter. I have heard some of the worst calls come from elk themselves. AND I can't count the times my partner told me he heard me calling from a distance so he left the area...only to find out that I was miles in a different direction!
"Aggressive by nature, accurate from practice, effective through both."

Offline Turnercody

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
i ran the select A bull tube by rocky mtn calls for a long time, till i broke down and learned the diaphragm..  i gag to easy so i was a wussy and strayed away   glad i stuck with it finally       that select a bull tho was a hell of a call       diaphragm from now on tho    you have enough time between now and your hunt to figure out that diaphragm!! good luck 

Offline Kdkehoe

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »
I'd start by buying 2-3 from Rocky Mountain Game calls, Phelps and maybe another top brand.  I like Rocky Mountain and Phelps myself the best.  Corey's Contender call was easy for my cousin to learn on with zero experience, fairly forgiving.  Myself the contender was easy to run the gamut of sounds in a calling sequence and had the bulls and cows super interested last year.  Not a bad starting point for sure.   If you want a tube, you could always look into a tube with a slip over reed that you can remove and use with a diaphragm as well so you could really get the feel for both and be able to figure out which one works for you.  Even if you get the "built in" reed into a tube, whatever you feel confident with will make you that much more successful, at least thats my opinion.  Remember to put emotion into it, don't just take a sound for a sound.  Make it count.
Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife. -R.K

Offline arg1574

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
I'd start by buying 2-3 from Rocky Mountain Game calls, Phelps and maybe another top brand.  I like Rocky Mountain and Phelps myself the best.  Corey's Contender call was easy for my cousin to learn on with zero experience, fairly forgiving.  Myself the contender was easy to run the gamut of sounds in a calling sequence and had the bulls and cows super interested last year.  Not a bad starting point for sure.   If you want a tube, you could always look into a tube with a slip over reed that you can remove and use with a diaphragm as well so you could really get the feel for both and be able to figure out which one works for you.  Even if you get the "built in" reed into a tube, whatever you feel confident with will make you that much more successful, at least thats my opinion.  Remember to put emotion into it, don't just take a sound for a sound.  Make it count.
Thanks for the input

Offline Boom

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »
thanks.

i'm taking notes.  i am gonna buy several and start practicing.

diaphram and the other one.

Offline tylergardner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
I learned to call with the AMP series by Phelps and a Rocky mountain game calls bugle tube. Lots of time spent in the car bugling out the glass! lol

Recent Posts

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:19:37 AM]

Re: 3 bulls screaming at each other within 200 yards-I couldnt pull one. Advise? by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:15:02 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:11:03 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:10:16 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by sjl2012
[September 24, 2021, 08:35:27 AM]