September 28, 2021, 07:17:31 AM

Author Topic: Bugle for a first time caller  (Read 6024 times)

Offline arg1574

• View Profile
Re: Bugle for a first time caller
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
A little update for you guys. I got myself a few different types of diaphragms and a tube from Rocky Mountain Game calls. After a few short practice sessions, Iím starting make some actual elk-like sounds. Corey Jacobsonís Contender seems to be the easiest to control. Still working on the high notes, but itís coming along. Watching Rocky Jacobsenís how-to videos on YouTube helped quite a bit too. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Good luck this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline harryreeves@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
First time caller here too. 

I have a set of the Rocky Mountain diaphragms and the Bully Bull tube from them too.

It's kinda tough at first.  The first 2 days it was difficult to bugle.  I could make sounds but it was tiring!  Like when you get a pork chop between your teeth.  My mouth was worn out. 

After a week, I'm a LOT better.  Still need a LOT of practice but MUCH better and it is now very easy to bugle instead of wearing me out. 

I bought the Select-a-Bull from Rocky Mountain as insurance in case I couldn't get the diaphragms to work for me.  It is not nearly as good sounding as I am after just a week.  It is very easy to make sounds that kind of sound like an elk...but not a lot like an elk.  Some people may be able to use it...not me and right now I don't want to invest time in practicing with it since the diaphragms are working for me.

I will say that if you want to buy the Select-a-Bull from Rocky Mountain, you CAN use it with diaphragms and do not need to get a separate tube like the Bully Bull.  The mouthpiece with the built in diaphragm comes right off and you can use the Select-A-Bull just like any other tube.  No need to buy a $38 Bully Bull and a $50 Select-A-Bull.  Both tubes work with diaphragms. 

Offline wyodanjar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 12:35:36 PM »
A little update for you guys. I got myself a few different types of diaphragms and a tube from Rocky Mountain Game calls. After a few short practice sessions, Iím starting make some actual elk-like sounds. Corey Jacobsonís Contender seems to be the easiest to control. Still working on the high notes, but itís coming along. Watching Rocky Jacobsenís how-to videos on YouTube helped quite a bit too. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Good luck this season.

Once you learn a diaphragm there is nothing better. Good Luck to you too this season! ;D

Recent Posts

Re: Scouting pics by Gonzoman10
[September 27, 2021, 04:43:48 PM]

Cool Game Pics 2021 Season by Gonzoman10
[September 27, 2021, 04:37:18 PM]

Re: Short bow and bad shots by cohunter14
[September 27, 2021, 07:46:51 AM]

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by cohunter14
[September 27, 2021, 07:32:56 AM]

Short bow and bad shots by mindburn
[September 26, 2021, 09:17:36 PM]