July 31, 2021, 09:15:39 AM

Author Topic: Back country food?  (Read 4836 times)

Offline ribo451

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Re: Back country food?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »
I took dehydrated potatoes form the store and added dehydrated deer meat. I also added dehydrated mushrooms and zucchini. I did those myself. I had dehydrated onion so I threw that in and then got some dehydrated milk powder and added some butter powder that is made for popcorn and whatever other seasonings I thought would be good. It made enough to fill a gallon zip lock bag and didn't cost much. The only things I bought were the potatoes and mushrooms. I either grew or had the other things. It is good but I take it to supplement everything else I eat. The bigger bits separate so you need to mix it up before serving. 

Offline Johnny5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »
I like to go to costco and get raw almonds, roasted / salted cashews, and a couple of bags of dried fuit - one being dried cranberries. Occasionally, costco doesn't have all the items for my trial mix which can be annoying. I find this to be a good combination of salt / suger / fat / protein and helps keep me going in the mountains. I get the ziplock snack size and make a bunch up before hunting season - usually try to make one or two for everyday I plan on hunting.

Offline Cullboss

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
Mountain house for me. My time is limited so I would rather just buy freeze dried meals than make them myself.

Offline TheBigShow

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »
Ended up buying freeze dried meals from Camp Chow. Cheaper than mountain house and sold out of a small shop on the gunflint trail in my home state of MN. Check out there products they are delicious and a ton of variety. Also made venison jerky and peanut butter bacon honey bagels. Will throw in some cliff, quest, some snickers bars, and dehydrated strawberries and apple for snacking during the day. Going to enter it all into my fitness pal app to make sure I have enough calories everyday. The dehydrator is gunna be on overtime between now and when we leave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mmjohnson403

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »
Mountian house, cliff bars, oatmeal, instant coffee, hot chocolate, gummies, and a package of ichiban

Around 2000 call per day

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline SarcasmPhD

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
Hey all,

Planning my first back country pack hunt and seeing what you guys pack for food? We usually just throw an MRE in the pack every morning but that would get a little heavy carrying 3 days worth at probably 2 per day. Do you just go the easy route and buy mountain house or do you dehydrate and make your own? Open to any and all options.

Thanks
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Packaged foods like Mountain House are loaded with sodium, and other ingredients you need a degree in scientific words to understand. Personally, I carry boxes of soup. If you're like me, I love to eat. However, when I am hunting, I just am never hungry. But, there is nothing like having a warm meal, whatever it is, after a long day. Helps keep your spirits up. Again, for my main meal, I buy the organic soups, stick with the higher caloric ones, like BLack bean, and potato soup. For snacks, Justin's peanut butter packs, RX bars, Garden of Life protein bars, almonds, cashews and raisins, and Epic bites. Oh and for breakfast, just oatmeal. I tried bringing maple syrup ONCE. Never again. Murphy's law is real. My pack was a walking bear attractant. I can survive without maple syrup on my oatmeal.
Elk101 is my sensei. I am grasshopper.

Offline Jacob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
Maple Syrup. Funny. :)

Offline Holeshot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »
Here's my usual daily diet, though I'll sub some of the snack foods out for alternatives. I drink a good bit of my protein, between normal protein shakes and miscellar cassein, which is a slow-metabolizing protein. I keep the lunch/snacks on my hip belt and eat them regularly from about 10-3.

FOOD
Breakfast
Pro Bar
Ascent Protein
Via
Shaker

Snacks/Lunch
Justins and 2 Tortillas
Clif Blok sleeve
Jerky
Snickers minis
Miscellar Cassein