September 20, 2020, 05:51:01 PM

Author Topic: 2018 Hunt Update Thread  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Okieelk

• View Profile
Re: 2018 Hunt Update Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:16 PM »
Just got back from my trip to San Juans. First trip and solo. Met a nice guy who had hunted the area for 20+ years. We ended of chatting and he I invited to show me around the area. Had a great time, bushwhacked and sidehilled a lot. Got into some of the deepest, darkest, coldest jungle on the mountain and say fresh beds. Saw lots of rubs, fresh sign/rubs, and tracks. Only heard on bugle each day at 6:40-6:50. Never saw elk but I know they are in there. I now have the knowledge to hunt the area and know what it looks like aside from google maps, and I can tell you I will be back next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hawker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 08:04:44 PM »
Ive been home for about a week after 13 days in SW Colorado. We hunted aug. 29 thru Sept. 12. It was very dry almost everywhere although we did get some afternoon thundershowers except for three days. We were in elk almost daily but they didnt get vocal until the 10th when we got our first return bugle. The first week we had young bulls sparing at 85yrds but couldnt get them any closer. Any calling made them run away. Spot and stalk was very difficult as we were walking on potato chips most of the time. An hour before dark on the 11th we had a buglefest going with two of us bugling and three different bulls on the ridge in front of us bugleing back and then a fourth bull chiming in from across the other side of the canyon. This is the first time I have hunted in Sept rut so for me it was incredibly exciting! We were back on that same ridge at first light. And what we thought was the herd bull was still fired up but wouldnt come all the way out to play. After trying all morning to get him to move we decided to wait for evening. At 4:30 we just relaxing with some trail mix when a bull bulged from less than a hundred yards. Two of grabbed bows and found shooting lanes while the third ran down the hill and called. In less than two mins the bull came in to 26yds from my brother and 36 for me. My brothers lane had a few branches in the way while I had a quarting to shot that was very low percentage. We couldnt believe it came in as the wind was perfectly wrong and he finally winded us and slowly walked back up the slope. Later that ev
You will never know how far you can go until you have risked going too far

Offline hawker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
Continued....
Later that evening we decided to get more aggressive and went straight to the top after him with me calling from just off the ridge and Al was able get a good shot. He got a nice 6x6 for our efforts.
In a previous message before the season I posted that my criteria for success was being able to call in a bull and I got to do that for the first time at 63yrs old. Im totally hooked now and bummed I have to wait eleven and half months to do it again.
I will post pics as soon as I figure out how.

Offline hawker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 09:29:47 PM »
Heres the pics

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 06:12:10 AM »
Awesome hawker! Great story and congrats on the success you guys had  :upthumb:

Offline Ol Arky

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
Dan Im gonna be nice and not say anything!!! :-X :-X

:clap: :clap: :clap: Hawker
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:24:54 PM by Ol Arky »
See ya and God Bless;
Phil "Ol' Arky" Weaver

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Dan Im gonna be nice and not say anything!!! :-X :-X

:clap: :clap: :clap: Hawker

Im just pulling into the driveway! Family first and then Ill get something posted at some point !

Offline Speezer87

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »
Finished the bow season empty handed, had my dad in town for the past week and he tried to join me on the hunt, but just cant keep up in the thin air.  So i set aside my hunting quest and did some fishing with the old man.

We each caught nice brown trout on the colorado river, and my dad pulled a nice 18 to 20 inch laker out of williams fork res from shore, so he now has some good stories to go home and tell his friends and brothers during happy hour

My dad also lost a big brown on the colorado, and it has already been dubbed "Moby Dick" and had talks of another trip next year to redeem himself

All and all a good bow season even without filling the tag

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »

I'm back from my trip as well. Hunted hard for seven days and put a little over 43 miles on the boots, but unfortunately was unable to punch the tag. We saw or heard elk all but one day, but the stars just never aligned. With me having a rifle hunting background, I laugh a little bit as we would have filled two or three tags fairly easy if we were rifle hunting. That's part of the fun though!

Now it's time to prep for the rifle season here in Colorado. Leave for that in 25 days  :upthumb:

Offline publichunter1

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
cohunter14: Sorry to hear you didn't fill any tags but sounds like you had a good time. We filled tags but only heard one bugle on public land all week.

Offline cnelk

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
We didnt punch any tags this year, but it wasnt without a lot of effort and missed opportunities during the hot, dry weather.

Opening morning, a fellow I was with gut shot a cow that we never found.

A few days later I passed on a yearling cow, 3 miles deep.

Labor Day, my son and I called in a big bull to 25yds, but my arrow hit a limb and deflected the arrow into his shoulder. 2" penetration and broken arrow.

A week later my son and I slipped up on a herd of elk and called in a satellite bull to 40 yds. My shot was low

Last Thursday, 3 of us using the 'Triangle' called in 2 bulls that came trotting in together. The front shooter had one at 25yds but the bull stopped behind a tree.

Last Friday eve, my buddy and I walked up this old logging road to the end, set up and started calling. I had the road behind me figuring any elk would approach from the front.

Nope. After about 20 mins, I head a 'thunk' of a hoof knock and see this 5x5 walking right up the road behind me at 22yds.
I drew and waited for about a minute for an opening but it never came.

Sunday morning we snuck up on a small herd in the timber and my buddy got a shot at a cow, but once again, the arrow hit a limb.

I learned that EVERYONE hunts the last week and blows on bugles.

Every elk I called in came in silent. I had MUCH better opportunities hunting the pre-rut and that will be my plan from now on.

Offline Ol Arky

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 12:36:05 PM »
Sorry ya didn't get one but ya still have tags to fill don't ya????
See ya and God Bless;
Phil "Ol' Arky" Weaver

Offline tiberiuswade

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »
Anyone know why pictures aren't able to view.  Having trouble see what others posted

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »
Anyone know why pictures aren't able to view.  Having trouble see what others posted

It must be an issue with Tapatalk. The website is working fine and all images show up.

Offline tiberiuswade

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2018, 12:14:31 PM »

It must be an issue with Tapatalk. The website is working fine and all images show up.
Notice the pictures or not jgp, but png extensions. This maybe issue?

Recent Posts

Re: 2020 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 18, 2020, 11:56:43 AM]

Re: 2020 Elk Meat Pole by SteveR
[September 18, 2020, 09:44:24 AM]

Re: Sitka open country by agardner00
[September 15, 2020, 12:12:21 PM]

Re: Sitka open country by Ernie Ball
[September 15, 2020, 10:25:41 AM]

Re: 2020 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 14, 2020, 11:37:51 AM]