October 22, 2019, 03:33:48 PM

Author Topic: Do you carry a sidearm?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Do you carry a sidearm?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 05:16:14 PM »

Do you carry a pistol with you on your bow hunts? I have a Texas CHL. Does that allow me to carry in a wilderness area during bow season?

I believe all states vary. I would confirm with the state you plan on hunting.

Offline Baileyjk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
Definitely check the regs for the public land you are hunting, but most places you can carry whatever you want, however you want without a permit.
My main concern is at night around camp or when an animal is down. 
If hunting solo during archery and camping in the backcountry, I usually carry a small frame .357.  Theres no telling what you'll run into (human or animal). Plus you can load some bird shot if the regs allow for small game hunting. 
If hunting with others, I usually like to shed the extra weight and assume there's strength in numbers.

Offline kykid33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »
I find myself trying to decide between the risk of not carrying and the added weight if I do. Been going out west for the past 10 years and thankfully I haven't ever threatened even though I've encountered Black Bears and Lions. I usually defer to letting the fresh sign dictate what I do. 

Offline nels1009

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »
I carry a .40 cal springfield xdm anytime I'm out in the woods. I've had too many run ins with predators and like a little backup on my hip.

Offline Tecumseh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
River Alaskan loaded with 300 gr cast bullets.

Offline Rdub

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »
Hunted in Colorado for many years and never felt the need to carry a sidearm even deep in the wilderness areas. Always thought it was just extra weight to pack. More worried about two legged varmits than cats or bears. Do carry bear spray for just in case.
Never say couldve, shouldve or wouldve, live every moment

Randy

Offline WW

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 07:17:10 AM »
I used to laugh at guys that packed a side arm while hunting in Colorado. But after working at a National Forest campground for several years and seeing some of the shady characters that go there, I won't leave home without one!

Offline Sweetmeat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 06:22:17 AM »
Hunt Backcountry Podcast EP 121 is about grizzly defense, and it has some pretty interesting information on defense calibers and penetration.  Might be worth a listen... 

After a scary encounter in the dark one morning, I carry a side arm every time I leave camp.  I never want to feel, "Damnit, I knew i should have brought that gun" again.  haha

Offline Okieelk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »
Carried a Glock 9MM with me last year as I was planning on solo hunting. The added weight was a hassle. I had the pistol attached to my pack belt, so every time I would take off my pack it would pull down on the waist straps. If I go with another person this year I will likely leave the pistol in the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jstephens61

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »
Cleaned the 1911 today for the trip to Wyoming. A .45 ACP makes a nice hole in anything.
What doesn't kill you, hurts like hell.

Offline Elktag

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
I carry a .44 Mag in a Lobo Tactical Sportsmen thigh holster. I love the holster. It doesnt interfere with my backpack hip belt at all and it is very comfortable. Id rather have a pistol and never need it than need it just one time and not have it.

Offline ozzy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 09:37:17 AM »
I would if I could... In Canada, pistols are "restricted" firearms and can only be carried and used at specially licensed gun ranges. If I could, I'd carry a Glock 10mm.

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 11:02:46 AM »
I would if I could... In Canada, pistols are "restricted" firearms and can only be carried and used at specially licensed gun ranges. If I could, I'd carry a Glock 10mm.

Wow, that's crazy. I hadn't ever heard that.

Offline Fullabull

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »
If I hunt Washington I don't carry. If I hunt Idaho where there are no Griz, I carry my Kimber micro nine just to scare wolves if they get close.

Offline BuckyHunter13

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 09:39:44 PM »
I never have, never felt the need. Still don't, really, but going solo this year I will.

Last year was pretty exciting, and that was without the camping I'm doing this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKN3woYWRgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-Cvgjg5XE (not that a 9mm would do much in a moose situation...)

Recent Posts

Re: Blondie by Ike
[Today at 12:10:06 AM]

Re: Blondie by babaffo
[October 21, 2019, 10:16:58 PM]

Re: Virginia Boys (old men) Colorado Archery DIY by sjl2012
[October 19, 2019, 07:32:50 AM]

Re: My First Bull by sjl2012
[October 19, 2019, 07:21:54 AM]

Re: 3rd Times a Charm - Our Elk Success Story by sjl2012
[October 19, 2019, 07:10:28 AM]