September 19, 2021, 02:59:16 AM

Author Topic: Free Gear Friday!!!  (Read 9480 times)

Offline DuckFarmer

• View Profile
Re: Free Gear Friday!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »
Dont let the conditions get in your head. If you need it, take 5 minutes to gather your thoughts and make a plan rather than saying it cant be done. Otherwise, you kick yourself for the other 50.5 weeks of the year!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline aes7.5x55

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »
This was my first elk season.   I (re)learned that no matter what I plan to do, I have to keep the wind in mind.  I spent a significant part of my week with a wind checker in my hand and was glad I did.

Offline jvanhoy

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
I learned this year to be prepared it can happen quick and use your time away the best you can. I got to camp after driving 28 hours and had to pack elk for the next 6. I was beat!! Got up the next morning and called in a bull and almost closed the deal. Next morning I did. Packed elk again. 3 days and we were tagged out and exhausted. Instead of resting and laying around we hit it hard and scouted and camped on the mountain every night. Found some great spots for next trip and had a blast!  Time out west is invaluable to me and we made the most of it!

Offline Cullboss

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
I learned that playing wind is essential and sometimes its better to wait for the right wind than to push it.

Offline 3picr3im3r

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
First year archery elk hunt and I learned to just be ready at all times, sometimes a young bull or cow will sneak right in without making a noise and catch you off guard. Didnt tag out but learned from my mistakes for next year.

Offline Austinwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »
I learned to always stay ready. With very quiet elk early in the season we had done some cold calling near a wallow. Had a group of 5 cows and 3 spikes come in after we thought the place was lifeless. I was in a very good position and was able to prepare when I saw the elk come out of the woods into the opening 65yards away. I was able to draw and wait for them to walk to the wallow and stop at 15 yards away. Then I learned how heavy elk meat is. Thanks!

Offline Gyrene92

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
My brother and 8 learned that even if the bulls are quiet, as they were at the beginning of this season, you should use locate bugles anyway. We had tons of fresh elk sign, but because we weren't hearing any bugles, we were too cautious in bugling and mostly cow called until the last day. On the last day we bugled a lot and were surprised by a bunch of close by bugles and chuckles. Lesson learned!!

Offline hikermike

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
as a new member i wont quality for the prize b/c i dont have 5 posts but this year it snowed over a foot of fine noisy snow in two days. when i walked it sounded loud and i wasnt expecting to see any elk and a little discouraged. i believe the sound was muffled traveling horizontally out and was mostly traveling up towards my ears as i was able to sneak in on one bull and two sets of cow/calfs before i harvested my elk.

Offline learnintohunt

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »
I learned that I will spend more time in researching. I had assumed there was less roads in the area I wanted to hunt. Frustrating for someone that would rather not be a "road hunter". This is my second year of elk hunting and I dont have a mentor or anyone helping me but I enrolled in UEH and I will use this to hopefully be successful next year. Being in shape was a huge benefit. Last year I had clothes that was bulky and heavy. Forking out the money for Gear instead of clothes was a priceless decision. Sitkas gear worked flawlesslyand layering was key to being comfortable. .  Also will strickly hunting Archery next year. There's just something about being so close to the animal that makes it seem so magical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline wsformiller

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
I learned the importance of thermals and how to use them to my advantage

Offline RobDex

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »
I learned patience with new archery hunters. As it was my wifes first season carrying a bow
She had lots of chances and opportunities and as an experienced hunter it is hard to be patient as you have to go through the ups and downs and heartbreak with them. But have to be positive and keep pushing. It is all things that we all had to learn and go through when we started.

Offline Clarno331

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »
I learned the hard way that when packing food my eyes are bigger than my stomach. I packed for what I thought would last me 5 days on a backcountry hunt was more like 10 days worth of food. I had a good list of food, but slowly kept adding to it as I didnt want to run out.

Offline colbyqueso

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »
I learned to go after them hard. Get in their face!

Offline lkhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »
I relearn ever year that I love the hunt no matter the outcome!  No elk or deer this year, but I had a great time in the woods and had some opportunities .

Offline jbmartinez03

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
It seems I learn so many lessons every year because ever outting each day provides new lessons. I think my biggest lesson is that persistence pays off. Its difficult to stay positive and persistent when youve gone most of the season with no luck. This was my year because I was persistent.

Recent Posts

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by Jason Balazs
[September 17, 2021, 06:23:19 PM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 14, 2021, 07:33:25 AM]

Re: arrow penetration on big bull by cohunter14
[September 14, 2021, 07:30:51 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by Jason Balazs
[September 13, 2021, 03:13:34 PM]

Re: Walking up, pushing bull and cows by ribo451
[September 12, 2021, 02:49:29 PM]