August 03, 2021, 03:13:57 PM

Author Topic: Exo vs Mystery Ranch  (Read 7032 times)

Offline Willdorf

• View Profile
Exo vs Mystery Ranch
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »
I was curious how the Exo 5500 stacks up against the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. I have the Metcalf, but being a lover of packs and after watching the born and raised outdoors series and seeing them perform for those guys it got me wondering if anyone has used both and had some input on how they compare to each other?

Offline Boom

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Exo vs Mystery Ranch
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:39:42 PM »
interesting comparison.  sadly,  have no clue. 

like you, i have my MR Metcalf and it fits great!!  only done a big handful of trout fishing long distance hikes with it.  i know for a fact that a crayfish trap cinches nicely to the outside. :)

Offline Willdorf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 02:54:02 PM »
I feel like they are probably fairly similar

Offline jstephens61

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 03:06:48 PM »
I like the side pockets on the K3500 for spotting scope or what ever you can cram in it. Messed with the Metcalf a while before I bought the EXO. I think theyre both great packs, I just prefer the layout of the 3500.
What doesn't kill you, hurts like hell.

Offline Willdorf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
For me that is my one big complaint about the Metcalf is the lac of pockets to keep your stuff organized. I have a kuiu icon pro and I love the pockets it has in it. But it doesn't carry weight as nice as my Metcalf

Offline ericjoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 09:38:31 PM »
I have had a metcalf for the last year-ish. then, on Thanksgiving this year, I found out I won the EXO pack from Born and Raised for their CO giveaway. I got the 5500. So I have hunted with both, but only really packed in and camped with my metcalf. Both are comfortable so that is really not "one is a clear winner". The external pockets, the accessories, and the roll top are all pluses in my opinion. I'm selling my metcalf.

Offline 87TT

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »

I didn't reply to this sooner because I had no experience with Mystery Ranch. I have a Kuiu and an Exo K3500. Plus I've backpacked for years so several other backpacks as well as assorted Day packs. The Exo is by far the best I own. I only kept the Kuiu for a loaner when friends or family need it. I've seen the others on videos and it only confirms it.
Congrats on the win!

Offline backcountry_hunter

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »
I'm an absolute hater of all things pockets, less is more for me. In my icon I loose stuff becuase there's so many pockets. You'd be hard pressed to do better than your metcalf (assuming it fits you well). That said there's absolutely nothing wrong the the EXO either, but I'm not sure I'd dump one for another. Both very very good packs.

Offline Willdorf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I do like the Metcalf. EricJoppa you won the prize I was crossing my fingers for! HA HA.

Offline parrotheadkjc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »
I have an exo. I went that route just from what I read and watched on between the 2 websites. I am very happy with the exo and the way it performs. Have not packed anything heavy yet, but that is to come.

Offline Jmillgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:20:07 PM »
Anyone try the Selway 60? Saw some decent deals on them

Offline ben782

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 02:53:07 PM »
I have the Mystery Ranch Pintler - same frame as the Metcalf. One of our hunting group members got the EXO pack last year. We hunted together and exchanged packs to try each others out. We agreed that they are both great packs and the fit is relatively the same. The mystery ranch has a stiffer hip belt but the EXO has slightly more padding on the hip and lumbar. Both packs are capable of carrying more weight than our bodies would allow.
 In short, neither myself nor the EXO owner would spend the money or time to change brands - You can't go wrong either way. Only reason why I have the Mystery Ranch is because the cost is significantly lower.

Offline hotelhardwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
The elktalk podcast provides a good overview of the heritage of MR and an emphasis on the design, purpose, and materials. Undoubtably both packs will perform well. I have used MR products for 12 years, have a Metcalf, and would like to upgrade to the guide light frame.

Offline big44a4

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
I have the Mystery Ranch Pintler - same frame as the Metcalf. One of our hunting group members got the EXO pack last year. We hunted together and exchanged packs to try each others out. We agreed that they are both great packs and the fit is relatively the same. The mystery ranch has a stiffer hip belt but the EXO has slightly more padding on the hip and lumbar. Both packs are capable of carrying more weight than our bodies would allow.
 In short, neither myself nor the EXO owner would spend the money or time to change brands - You can't go wrong either way. Only reason why I have the Mystery Ranch is because the cost is significantly lower.

How much weight did yall carry in each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alberta TS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 08:48:29 PM »
I just picked up a 3500 , my hunting partner has the met calf ( or bigger MR) we will have to switch on our spring bear hunt. Love the exo thou

Recent Posts

Re: Questions on Clothing by Back_Country
[July 29, 2021, 12:20:56 PM]

Re: Seeking Montana Archery Tag help. by 406sapper
[July 27, 2021, 02:59:05 PM]

Re: Questions on Clothing by montanaelk31
[July 25, 2021, 10:55:32 AM]

Re: Questions on Clothing by cohunter14
[July 21, 2021, 07:35:55 AM]

Questions on Clothing by Samc1998
[July 20, 2021, 05:15:36 PM]