September 28, 2021, 06:52:15 AM

Author Topic: What Bow to shoot?  (Read 5161 times)

Offline cmuske25

• View Profile
Re: What Bow to shoot?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 11:22:01 AM »
Running a 2014 Bowtech Carbon Overdive.  Shoots great and incredibly light to pack in the backcountry. 

Offline VTHOKEE

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 05:02:40 PM »
Mathews Halon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Boom

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
i find it hard to believe any modern bow would suck. 

i think "fit" should trump all else..second, think about what you would want physically.  ATA?  are you a speed freak?  etc.

i have shot Mathews, Elite and now a Hoyt.  the only bow that brings a tear from my eye, is my old Mathews Switchback XT.  that was the best, most freaky forgiving bow i have ever owned in my life.  i could pick up arrows, random arrows from friends, arrows dropped at the range and shoot them..and they would fly with my own FT, and broadheads.  i could shoot that thing far with fletchless arrows.  everytime i shot, i honestly think a couple of angels in heaven would high-five.i credit the fit.

switching to a left-hand bow.  the major loss for me is that familiar "fit".  i dont know how it is supposed to feel on the left side.  i think my current Hoyt is damn close, but i might be a tad long in the draw.  still working out the honeymoon phase. 

Offline Planopurist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 10:24:51 PM »
I should mention, the last 3 years, Ive shot PSE Premonition HD, PSE Bow Madness Epix, and now Elite Option 6. I liked each progressively more.  I still have the last two, but am trying to sell the Epix. Its a really good bow though. Ive tested a couple Mathews, Hoyts, Xpeditions, and other PSEs. The only other thing I liked was Halon 6 and Hoyt Defiant. My next will likely be another 35 Elite or Mathews that can double as a target and backup hunting bow to my Option 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 406unltd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 09:25:28 PM »
Bowtech realm x.  Last two bows were also bowtech but thats only a coincidence.  Im not a bowtech leg humper but Ill say it is my favorite bow so far.  Shot a few of the other big companies bows and they were all really nice too.  Got this one used, all setup and only about 6 months old.  Saved me a few hundred dollars.

Offline Tecumseh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
I shot a Darton for years with no complaints, now shooting a Hoyt Powermax. A couple guys I hunt with are shooting Bowtechs and really like em.

Offline Oldeman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 07:30:17 PM »
I shoot a Prime CT5 and also a Bowtech Realm SS, I like them both but what's good for me or any other here may not suit you. Go out and try as many bows as you can to find what is comfortable for you.

Offline f16woody

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 06:52:54 AM »
My primary bow s a Hoyt vTec...and backup is a Mathews DXT that my Dad gave me.  Would love to upgrade, but have committed to slaying another elk with my current (yet old) equipment before getting anything new.  At my current rate, I'm gonna save a lot of $$$ for years!  Not a whole lot of bow shops near where I live, so it'll be an adventure to shoot what I want to and decide when the time comes.

Offline 87TT

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »

My first bow was a Redhead bow that I got from Bass Pro. I bought it in closeout when they discontinued it. It shot OK and I was just starting out. I got pretty good with it and used it the first two years I elk hunted determined to kill something before I upgraded. This from a guy that whos newest vehicle is a 2000 Nissan truck. I then shot a bull from 63 yards. Had an issue with the aftermarket string stop that caused me to hit a little high and back. Not the bows fault but still ended up losing him after two days of tracking when the blood stopped. I then felt I owed it to the game to up mine and since I could, I got a new bow. I didn't go with the most expensive one although I shot them. I settled on a Hoyt Powermax. It was smoother, quieter and more stable at full draw. Where before I could get pie plate groups at 60, I can now do 3-4 inch groups. Point is get the one that fits you and don't settle for OK. You owe it to the animal.
I still have that old Redhead and drag it out and shoot it. Still shoots OK but it is loud.

Recent Posts

Re: Scouting pics by Gonzoman10
[September 27, 2021, 04:43:48 PM]

Cool Game Pics 2021 Season by Gonzoman10
[September 27, 2021, 04:37:18 PM]

Re: Short bow and bad shots by cohunter14
[September 27, 2021, 07:46:51 AM]

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by cohunter14
[September 27, 2021, 07:32:56 AM]

Short bow and bad shots by mindburn
[September 26, 2021, 09:17:36 PM]