July 02, 2020, 02:52:36 AM

Author Topic: Tents?  (Read 4497 times)

Offline nclonghunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Tents?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2019, 08:05:49 AM »
Just to mention the cots, I have used the XL cot with pad for several years. It is very comfortable and well made. My buddy has one also and we put out plastic totes under the cot in the tent. Good way to keep your stuff until you need it. Having said that I have also realized the XL cot is a lot more cot than what I need. It takes up a lot of room in the smaller cabin style tents. I purchased a narrower military sized cot and pad and find it just as comfortable. Solo camping the XL is great but with a couple guys in the tent those big cots can use a lot of space. Try a narrower one and see if it works for you.
If wisdom is the reward for aging, I will always be young

Offline Bowhunter1

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 08:06:51 AM »

Today I was able to do a test run on my new tent set up as well as my cot/pad.

All I can say is this is going to be a very comfortable and cozy set up. 
My daughter definitely approves. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't want the challenge of setting it up for the first time at O dark 30 on the mountain?  :haha:
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - but the size of the fight in the dog. "

Offline Bowhunter1

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 08:07:58 AM »
It looks like a nice setup Dan. :upthumb:
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - but the size of the fight in the dog. "

Offline iHunt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »
Has anyone tried a CVT or Roof top tent?

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 05:16:58 PM »

Today I was able to do a test run on my new tent set up as well as my cot/pad.

All I can say is this is going to be a very comfortable and cozy set up. 
My daughter definitely approves. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't want the challenge of setting it up for the first time at O dark 30 on the mountain?  :haha:

:haha: :haha: :haha: 
I almost wish I did because it was 97 degrees out and humid when I did it!

Offline montanaelk31

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2019, 08:59:53 AM »
Looks awesome, how long did it take you?  Also I see on youtube where you can sew in your own tent stove jack.  I might give that a try...
"The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Offline Elk Noob

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »

I personally don't like the roof top tents. They're extremely expensive for what they are.

If you have a truck you can likely find a slide in camper for the same price or a similar price and it will do a much better job. If you have an SUV build a platform for the trunk and sleep inside, it'll be warmer and cheaper in the long run.

Offline Boom

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2020, 12:11:46 PM »

I personally don't like the roof top tents. They're extremely expensive for what they are.

If you have a truck you can likely find a slide in camper for the same price or a similar price and it will do a much better job. If you have an SUV build a platform for the trunk and sleep inside, it'll be warmer and cheaper in the long run.

i didnt like them either.  but if you see how fast they set up, it makes a GREAT argument.  i HATE putting up a tent in the rain.   plus they are all lined on the floor with a mattress.  i wouldnt ever want one on top of my truck, but if i had one of those Adventure Compact trailers, it would be awesome.

Offline HiZ

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2020, 04:12:43 AM »
So, I've just picked up base camp tent in Indiana.
A 2020 American Hauler tent /trailer

Running e track so I can fasten it all and cots on the bar system and straps, all sorts of goodies

Carry atv, cooler, gear, animal, generator, 12v hook up, lights, camera.....
I am new to this.... all the help is appreciated for 2020 hunt!

Offline Firehawk

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »
I have loved my Kodiak 10x14.  I also put a piece of outdoor carpet inside to make it a little nicer and quieter.  A Mr. Buddy heater has worked perfectly up to 10k feet elevation too.

I did add the vestibule to the fly and it is a total game changer.  Quite frankly, I was shocked at how much I like that part.  I will try to attach a picture for you to see it.

Enjoy and Happy Hunting!

Offline AJHURD

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
I bought a used Cabela's Alaknak 9.5ft x 9.5ft wall tent with a vestibule last summer, and put a small Colorado barrel stove in it. It was awesome! Very comfortable for two or three guys with cots.

Offline elk sicario

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 05:14:29 PM »
Hey guys! my family makes canvas walltents for a living. We are US made, offer complete custom tents, and repair all the different brands. At Bravo, our motto is "If you can dream it, we can build it!" We offer the best quality walltents around. These tents are made by elk hunters, for elk hunters. Among the many people around the world who own our tents, are Randy and Candy Yow of Extreme Desire TV, and Jason Phelps of Phelps Game Calls. Visit the website at bravowalltents.com, or call the shop and talk to John. Also check out our 2020 guide tent. A tent that offers both quality, and cost effectiveness.
I have a certain set of skills. Skills which have been obtained by spending my life in the woods. I know how to send a message and make it hurt. I will leave the headless carcasses of the fallen in my wake. I am elk sicario.

Recent Posts

Basecamp Set up by BT57PA
[July 01, 2020, 08:06:24 PM]

CO Unit 561 vs OTC by cured_ham
[July 01, 2020, 01:04:45 PM]

Re: Which broadheads have failed you? by Link_OH
[June 30, 2020, 02:03:48 PM]

Re: physical conditioning: navy seal workout by elk sicario
[June 30, 2020, 11:17:20 AM]

Re: Wall Tent Pole Bag - What Do You Use? by elk sicario
[June 30, 2020, 11:16:08 AM]