https://youtu.be/R2jrCw_bl_I

:)

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Tents?
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 07:47:25 AM »
Ive got both wall tent pole setups (traditional and internal frame) and either can be setup solo fairly easily. The internal frame is easier, but it also requires more poles and longer poles, so advantages and disadvantages to both.

Offline colorado russ

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
Another vote for Davis tents Dan!  Had a 10x12 and was fine for 2 people, gear and a stove.  Big enough for an oversize cot on one side, folding table at the end then stove in opposite corner.

Like Brad's, I had mine customized with zippered doors on both ends but no windows.  Stove jack is already there.  I bought one of their sponsor wood stoves with attached water reservoir and it was handy.  Would heat up water to boiling then had a side spigot.

Guess you found somewhere to hunt that you can't take the camper for the luxury base camp you're accustomed to?

Offline publichunter1

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
Ive stayed in several wall tents and have recently gotten the kodiak tent as well. The Davis wall tents are great and they are hard to beat when it comes to an extended stay somewhere. However for multi use purposes ( hunts and in my case family camping) I am loving the kodiak. It has lots of room, holds up great in the wind and weather, easy to heat with a buddy heater, quick and easy setup, and takes up less room in the truck.

I dont think you can go wrong either way. Youre going to spend an extra $1000 on wall tent but is probably going to last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
I dont think you can go wrong either way. Youre going to spend an extra $1000 on wall tent but is probably going to last longer.

Depending on what size you get and what options, you shouldn't end up spending a whole lot more on a wall tent than a Kodiak. Definitely not $1,000. Heck, a solid 10x12 setup with poles from Davis Tent is about $700 total.

Offline publichunter1

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Tents?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 11:05:23 AM »

Depending on what size you get and what options, you shouldn't end up spending a whole lot more on a wall tent than a Kodiak. Definitely not $1,000. Heck, a solid 10x12 setup with poles from Davis Tent is about $700 total.

Sorry I shouldve thrown that in there. I used active junky and another discount and got my kodiak 10x14 for around $450 in the end. I was looking at the elk hunter package offer Davis offers. Its around $1600-$1800 and is I think a 14x16 with a decent number of options.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 11:09:10 AM by publichunter1 »

Offline publichunter1

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »
Going back and looking at their site Davis actually has a 12x14 on sale for April for around $1000.  I dont think that includes a floor or poles but thats still a really good deal.

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
Yeah, the more expensive options include stoves and other items as well. The 12x14 on sale is either $748 or $898 depending on if you treat it for fire or not. That price includes the internal frame angle kit, but not the poles. I believe they recommend buying the EMT and cutting it yourself, which saves quite a bit of money over them doing it. Probably add in $25 for the rear door (or $52 for a rear screen), a few bucks for a tarp to use as a floor, and you are all set. I'd personally consider paying for the eaves as well ($30) to do an awning, which is really nice to have.

Offline Boom

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
I use a 6-man tent I bought from REI. I think its their brand. It was on sale. Solo, it is a palace. I can put a cot in it, I can stand up. It bags up to a package the size of my torso. Shall by comparison. And light by comparison. My tiny truck is stuffed full enough without one of the big jobbers.   Its huge for one person. I can put a night stand in there.

I did a solo week in AZ with it and was never uncomfortable.

Offline Bowhunter65

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 08:20:18 AM »
I just bought two of these wall tents and they a super reasonable on their pricing. I will be buying third soon.

good luck Terry

http://www.elkmountaintents.com/
Terry L. Zink

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 06:20:46 PM »
I went with the 10x14 kodiak canvas.
I ordered an XL cabelas cot, a camp chef stove with griddle, some LED string lights (battery powered), got some astroturf and carpet, and i'll get a few more doodads before the hunt starts!

Offline Rdub

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »
You will not regret the wall tent at all. Your grand kids will thank you when they inherit it. :clap:
Never say couldve, shouldve or wouldve, live every moment

Randy

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »
I went with the 10x14 kodiak canvas.
I ordered an XL cabelas cot, a camp chef stove with griddle, some LED string lights (battery powered), got some astroturf and carpet, and i'll get a few more doodads before the hunt starts!

You will love the XL cot. If you want to feel really spoiled, get the cot pad. Its like sleeping in a bed  ;-)

Offline HiZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »
I am too looking at ideas and options for this.
I have found the winterial 3 person to be fair with cost and with review for packing. What are you recommending for a base fabric on these tents that pack in with minimal or no floor to them?
I am new to this.... all the help is appreciated for 2020 hunt!

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »

Today I was able to do a test run on my new tent set up as well as my cot/pad.

All I can say is this is going to be a very comfortable and cozy set up. 
My daughter definitely approves. :)

Recent Posts

Re: Blondie by Ike
[Today at 12:10:06 AM]

Re: Blondie by babaffo
[October 21, 2019, 10:16:58 PM]

Re: Virginia Boys (old men) Colorado Archery DIY by sjl2012
[October 19, 2019, 07:32:50 AM]

Re: My First Bull by sjl2012
[October 19, 2019, 07:21:54 AM]

Re: 3rd Times a Charm - Our Elk Success Story by sjl2012