May 30, 2020, 11:19:49 AM

Author Topic: 2019 Elk Hunt Update Thread  (Read 4042 times)

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
2019 Elk Hunt Update Thread
« on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »

The 2019 Elk Season is upon us. Use this thread as a place to check in and to post updates as to how things are going in your hunt. Heading out? On the road? Made it to camp and have cell service? Hearing bugles? Got one down? Let us know! It's a great way for those who aren't currently in the woods to live vicariously through you!

Good luck to everyone this year!!!

Offline Ol Arky

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Elk Hunt Update Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
My only way to enjoy elk hunting so please have fun be safe and send updates on a regular basis...
See ya and God Bless;
Phil "Ol' Arky" Weaver

Offline ribo451

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 06:54:43 PM »
Saw 6-7 cows with a 5 point bull on the drive home yesterday. He looked like he was ready for fall to begin.

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »
Saw 6-7 cows with a 5 point bull on the drive home yesterday. He looked like he was ready for fall to begin.
I think we are all ready too!  :tease: :shock:

Offline Wyo67

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »
Awful hot up on the mountain in Wyoming this weekend - nothing heard or seen on opening day.  A buddy with a different tag reported hearing a couple bulges at night up around Laramie Peak.  Which was more than I heard in the General areas.  Will be out again next weekend.

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 07:30:11 PM »
Awful hot up on the mountain in Wyoming this weekend - nothing heard or seen on opening day.  A buddy with a different tag reported hearing a couple bulges at night up around Laramie Peak.  Which was more than I heard in the General areas.  Will be out again next weekend.

Good luck next weekend!

Offline StrongTower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
I have a question for everyone. Last weekend, I went out and saw nothing and also heard nothing. The elk were very silent (probably due to the hot temperatures and early in the season). Last weekend I checked out 4 different areas.

I am heading back out tonight. I am trying a few new spots. Would you recommend I get to a high glassing point and glass tonight or should I just start out in an area I believe to hold elk and hope I get a bull to bugle?

Thanks,
ST

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 09:44:31 AM »
I have a question for everyone. Last weekend, I went out and saw nothing and also heard nothing. The elk were very silent (probably due to the hot temperatures and early in the season). Last weekend I checked out 4 different areas.

I am heading back out tonight. I am trying a few new spots. Would you recommend I get to a high glassing point and glass tonight or should I just start out in an area I believe to hold elk and hope I get a bull to bugle?

Thanks,
ST

It sounds like elk have already been vocal in a lot of areas, so I would probably go the calling route if it were me.

Offline Elk Noob

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »
Head out early or late at night and do some bugling. The elk up north have definitely been talking so far. I've been surprised, but they are bugling.

I like glassing because I'd rather let my eyes do the walking, but with vocal elk walk the trails at night and listen for bugles.

Offline StrongTower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 10:46:08 AM »
Thanks cohunter14 and elk noob. I will give it a go tonight and see if I hear anything. This is my first year archery hunting so I am just trying to put boots on the ground as much as possible and learn as much as possible. Already learned to reduce what I bring in my backpacking pack. Dropped significant weight on my pack.

ST

Offline lang

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
Called in a 5 pt and couple cows for a buddy in my local zone before I head to a different zone for my hunt.  He hit a branch so no elk, but had at least 3 bulls going. Probably heard 30 bugles.   

Offline nclonghunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 12:20:19 PM »
Lang, what state are you hunting? Sounds like the elk are responding and getting started.

Also, looks like you are after a good bull if you are leaving that area to go into another zone. Good luck on the hunt.
If wisdom is the reward for aging, I will always be young

Offline ribo451

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »
I got into elk opening day. (Friday) I heard around 100 bugles coming from 3 bulls. One was close, one was on an open ridge across from me and one was in the bottom of a canyon. I called some and they seemed fired up to talk to each other but didn't respond well to my calling. I was getting my feelings hurt when the close bull came in silent. He was a big 6x6. He hung up at 130 yards. The wind was bad for any type of moves in his direction so I tried unsuccessfully several times to get around him and his cows and couldn't make it work. Had a small black bear at 28 yards too.  A good day overall till I fell down and rolled my ankle in a patch of devils club. 

Offline Ol Arky

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 10:36:56 AM »
Bull elk down in Colorado... Anyone???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
See ya and God Bless;
Phil "Ol' Arky" Weaver

Offline nclonghunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
Ol Arky, hopefully next week I can post a few pictures from Colorado..will be heading out there from North Carolina...not far from your old stomping grounds.
If wisdom is the reward for aging, I will always be young

Recent Posts

Re: Tags? by cohunter14
[Today at 09:06:58 AM]

Re: New Mexico unit 53 rifle elk by 82ndreddevil
[May 29, 2020, 07:37:15 PM]

Re: So Long Ol Arky by Jason Balazs
[May 29, 2020, 04:02:44 PM]

Re: Tags? by Jason Balazs
[May 29, 2020, 04:01:42 PM]

Re: Hunting Island Park Idaho by jspencer
[May 29, 2020, 02:20:33 PM]