May 30, 2020, 12:18:49 PM

Author Topic: 2019 Elk Hunt Update Thread  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Ol Arky

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Elk Hunt Update Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
Ol Arky, hopefully next week I can post a few pictures from Colorado..will be heading out there from North Carolina...not far from your old stomping grounds.

Good deal... I hope you have a safe, fun and successful trip... I'm not gonna steal anyone's thunder but I do know the elk gods have been good to at least one....
See ya and God Bless;
Phil "Ol' Arky" Weaver

Offline zclarkTOK

• View Profile
2019 Elk Hunt Update Thread
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 07:00:06 AM »
Getting excited now...went out to scout last weekend for opening week of rifle hunting.

We heard at least 3 bulls and an unknown number of cows...we have an A and ES tag but really excited about the last part knowing what i know about the late rut.  Hopefully they all stick around and stay alive for a few more weeks.

Tons of sign as well including some well used game trails, water holes and a rub about 5 yds from a ground blind we determined would be good based on the game trails. The rub was made sometime in the 1.5 hour break we took for breakfast at camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:05:38 AM by zclarkTOK »

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
Heading out today for a quick hunt, coming back on Wednesday. Not extremely hopeful on the area, but I cannot wait to be in the woods!

Offline StrongTower

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
So I finally found Elk!! (After my 8th spot to look). Unfortunately I was by myself and it made calling the bull in very difficult. I tried to challenge him 3 times. But all 3 times instead of coming at me to accept the challenge he just pushed his cows away, like he didn't want to fight. So i finally decided to go silent and sneak in. I got within 40 yards but did not have a good shot at him. I made sure the wind was in my favor and he had no idea I was there. But before I could get into a good shooting lane he wandered off. I couldn't find him again.

Any suggestions on different things I should have tried? What do you do if a bull is not wanting to be challenged and would rather run?

Offline Bull_Fighter

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
So I finally found Elk!! (After my 8th spot to look). Unfortunately I was by myself and it made calling the bull in very difficult. I tried to challenge him 3 times. But all 3 times instead of coming at me to accept the challenge he just pushed his cows away, like he didn't want to fight. So i finally decided to go silent and sneak in. I got within 40 yards but did not have a good shot at him. I made sure the wind was in my favor and he had no idea I was there. But before I could get into a good shooting lane he wandered off. I couldn't find him again.

Any suggestions on different things I should have tried? What do you do if a bull is not wanting to be challenged and would rather run?
If you were with your lady and a guy came up and started yelling at you, challenging you to a fight from across the parking lot, would you stay and fight for no reason, or take your lady and leave? On the flip side, if he came right up to you and your lady, ignored you and started hitting on your woman right in front of you, would you still just walk away? Try getting in close and talk to his cows (with bull sounds), or do what you did last and sneak in for a shot. That's how I'd look at it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:48:47 AM by Bull_Fighter »

Offline StrongTower

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »
Bull fighter, could you describe close? all instances took place within 100 yards and one of those cases was within 50 yrds. Maybe I was to aggressive in my calling???

Offline Bull_Fighter

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »
Bull fighter, could you describe close? all instances took place within 100 yards and one of those cases was within 50 yrds. Maybe I was to aggressive in my calling???
The closer, the better, but I would think inside 50-100 yards would be money. You might be right on getting too aggressive too quickly. If the bull isn't already fired up, you might try getting him fired up with some raking, grunting, smaller bugles and work your way up from there depending on his response.

Offline lang

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 11:54:26 AM »
Lang, what state are you hunting? Sounds like the elk are responding and getting started.

Also, looks like you are after a good bull if you are leaving that area to go into another zone. Good luck on the hunt.
In North Idaho and heading to Southern Idaho.  I can hunt more days without using pto if I stay local, but the wif likes me to have a tag I am done with in 10 days (without the pto or $ to pull off more).  If I stay in the panhandle I can hunt all three weapons Sept-Dec and it wears on the fam.  I like both areas, but go south every few years.  Group down south has had little calling and hot weather...should lite up any day-hoping right when I get there.

Offline StrongTower

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 03:20:07 PM »
Thanks Bull Fighter,

I will try to start out a little less aggressive to work him up next time.

Question for anyone. In Colorado Muzzle loader starts this weekend. therefore archery hunters now have to wear orange. Will this be a detriment to trying to get close? I understand that Elk don't see orange and it appears brown, but a big solid shade of brown has to stand out among the environment.

Thanks for your thoughts
ST

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
Thanks Bull Fighter,

I will try to start out a little less aggressive to work him up next time.

Question for anyone. In Colorado Muzzle loader starts this weekend. therefore archery hunters now have to wear orange. Will this be a detriment to trying to get close? I understand that Elk don't see orange and it appears brown, but a big solid shade of brown has to stand out among the environment.

Thanks for your thoughts
ST

Archery hunters dont have to wear orange, only the ML hunters  :upthumb:

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
Had my first ever calling encounter today after being a rifle hunter most of my life. We were in an area with lots of fresh sign, but nothing was responding to calls. Finally, my old man threw out a bugle with some chuckles at the end and a bull chuckled nearby. The look on our faces had to be similar to a six year old on Christmas morning when they realize Santa came, lol!!!

Unfortunately we thought the bull was farther away than he was and we ended up jumping the entire herd. The good news is they never caught our scent and we continued to have the bull calling back to us after, so they didnt completely vacate the country. We decided to back out and well be back there first thing in the morning  :upthumb:

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 07:30:05 PM »
Got on the same herd first thing this morning. We shadowed them across the mountain and then straight uphill hoping to follow them to bed, but we ended up losing them when they continued up and over a saddle. Hoping theyll be back in the morning. One last chance before we have to head home. The good news is well be back at it in a week and a half with five days to hunt instead of two  :upthumb:

Offline Ike

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 10:44:14 PM »
Dont forget about raking...It can put some Bulls over the edge!   :o
Pro Defiant Shooter #Bowhunter

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 07:06:45 AM »
Dont forget about raking...It can put some Bulls over the edge!   :o

Yeah, we gave that a shot as well. Im guessing its a younger bull that was running with the cows. When it came to fight or flight, he took the flight every time even when we got in close.

Offline MTHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 06:41:19 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster.

It's been an interesting first week this year, so thought I'd belt out a brief synopsis of things in S. Central Montana.

Opening day was a total bust. It rained so much I could not get back to our planned hunting location. Plan-B, which is normally a solid choice in the second or third week was totally devoid of anything resembling Elk. However, the next five days or so was packed with action, including "Cold Rain" (that part was not so fun).

We've seen Small Bulls, Big bulls, but very few cows (plenty of the moo-cow types though). Our best opportunity for a big 6x6 Bull was thwarted by yet another big bull that came pouncing onto the scene unexpectedly.  I don't know who jumped further, the original 6x6 bull or me, but in the end, it was everyone scattering into the wind. Had a second shot--later in the week--at a nice bull but he winded us at about 55yrs; so that was that.

We've seen lots of Mulies and Whitetails up close so we're fairly confident in filling those tags.

Anyways, I hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable hunting season so far, and look forward to reading more stories from the field here.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:48:46 PM by MTHunter »

Recent Posts

Re: Tags? by cohunter14
[Today at 09:06:58 AM]

Re: New Mexico unit 53 rifle elk by 82ndreddevil
[May 29, 2020, 07:37:15 PM]

Re: So Long Ol Arky by Jason Balazs
[May 29, 2020, 04:02:44 PM]

Re: Tags? by Jason Balazs
[May 29, 2020, 04:01:42 PM]

Re: Hunting Island Park Idaho by jspencer
[May 29, 2020, 02:20:33 PM]