September 17, 2021, 02:18:08 AM

Author Topic: So close  (Read 2511 times)

Offline zclarkTOK

• View Profile
So close
« on: October 01, 2019, 09:17:47 PM »
I have a private only tag and had a bull into about 25 yrds but couldn't get him over the fence to shoot. I raked, I cow called, I located, I was aggressive but he was weary. 

How do I get him the last yard? Any tips or tricks are welcome.

It was so cool though just doing that. Happy as I can be but hoping to take him down tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ike

• View Profile
Re: So close
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:53:14 PM »
More cow calls, whinier cow in heat type...Decoy if you have one!
Pro Defiant Shooter #Bowhunter

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »
Getting him in to 25 yards is pretty good! I'd maybe try setting up farther away from the fence so he has to go over the fence to see where the calls are coming from.

Offline zclarkTOK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
Yeah I moved up and back and side to side. But couldnt get him...

I was back this morning and had 3 bugling around me. My father in law saw the legs of one but he never showed his antlers. I was back in about 100-150 yards trying to draw them over. Still no luck.

I think its a matter of my sequencing. I often get a response and got a few to the whiny cow call (thanks Ike). But he wasnt responding to my more aggressive bugles. He also has a growl that I just cant replicate.

Anyway I think hes bedded about 300-400 yds north on the public land -hes still bugling - so my guess is that he and his friends will be back about 5:30. Ill be doing some still hunting in the dark timber around midday.

If theres anything anyone thinks of in the meantime Im all ears.

Thanks all. And happy hunting.

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:50:32 AM »
I think its a matter of my sequencing. I often get a response and got a few to the whiny cow call (thanks Ike). But he wasnt responding to my more aggressive bugles. He also has a growl that I just cant replicate.

I would agree that this might be the issue. What sequencing are you using? If you are just randomly throwing different calls out there, it might not be telling the story the bull wants to hear. An example of a simple sequence would be what Corey's go-to sequence is: cow call and once the bull responds, hammer him with a challenge bugle. Even try to cut him off. That simple sequence could definitely work, especially if he responds to the cow calls.

Offline zclarkTOK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 09:04:47 AM »
Im definitely working that sequence but hes hanging up. Its been my go to but apparently its (Im) not convincing enough. Keep in mind this is my first year calling and Ive been practicing for months but theres nothing like real world application to set the men apart from...well, the elk. 

Simple is better for me if you have any suggestions. But Im not afraid to try anything. And as bad as I may be they are responding but just not coming in.

Offline Ike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »
Itll happen! 
Pro Defiant Shooter #Bowhunter

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 05:30:51 PM »
Im definitely working that sequence but hes hanging up. Its been my go to but apparently its (Im) not convincing enough. Keep in mind this is my first year calling and Ive been practicing for months but theres nothing like real world application to set the men apart from...well, the elk. 

Simple is better for me if you have any suggestions. But Im not afraid to try anything. And as bad as I may be they are responding but just not coming in.

The only other idea I have heard of would be to create a scenario in the bulls mind that there's a hot cow and another bull sneaks in to breed her. Do the cow calls by themselves for a bit, then some raking and stomping, like a bull comes to the cow and then starts displaying. Then maybe do some whinier cow sounds, like she's agitated or the other bull to come down and breed her. Sounds like an easy idea, just never tried it so couldn't tell you if it works, hahaha!

Offline cnelk

• Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 05:46:45 PM »
Move further back so he had to search for you and commit.
 At 25yds he shouldve seen an elk and didnt.

Another option would be a decoy

Recent Posts

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 14, 2021, 07:33:25 AM]

Re: arrow penetration on big bull by cohunter14
[September 14, 2021, 07:30:51 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by Jason Balazs
[September 13, 2021, 03:13:34 PM]

Re: Walking up, pushing bull and cows by ribo451
[September 12, 2021, 02:49:29 PM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by ribo451
[September 12, 2021, 02:45:22 PM]