November 17, 2019, 03:35:25 PM

Author Topic: Blondie  (Read 491 times)

Offline babaffo

• View Profile
Blondie
« on: October 14, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
Opening day - Oregon general Archery season - 1 mile east of Olney in the Oregon coastal range.

I'd scouted a bull I'd named 'Blondie' for his abnormally light colored coat.  I'd also subconsciously dubbed a flirty girl at my gym 'Blondie' as well, so maybe there's something I should explore there as well.   :help2:

Blondie was the herd bull for about 20 cows, a couple spikes, a 4x4, and a smaller 6x6.  Blondie was a 6x6 with some good mass.  Blondie was a very active, boisterous, and aggressive bull.

I'd patterned Blondie pretty well, and planned by hunt with a descent into the dark woods he called home.  I was heading to an area with a good amount of old growth that prevented much under story from growing.

I slowly moved towards my spot as light broke, eagerly listening for movement.  I arrived around 7AM, settled into my spot atop an oldgrowth stump that gave me a concealed vantage within bow range to the treeline I knew Blondie would frequent.

Oregon is known for many things.  One thing not a lot of non-locals realize is present is a hefty population of shithead hillbillies.  Seems that someone wasn't too thrilled that I was parked when I was.  They decided to dump an AR mag in my campsite in what I can only imagine was an attempt to ruin my hunt.  I didn't realize they had done that at the time, but I thought it was coming from the area I was parked at.  I decided to check on my truck.

Working my way back up the hill, it started POURING.  I stopped to put on my rain gear, and just as I dropped my bow and pack I heard that unmistakable sound of a heard of elk moving through the woods.  I dropped.

On my knees concealed among dense ferns, I saw a spike (not legal) and two cows about 20 yards away. 

I nocked an arrow.

Behind them was a 4x4 - very legal. I ranged him at 43 yards - very doable.

Then I saw a 6x6 - a few yards closer, and broadside.  I clipped my draw, and got ready to take a shot.

Then I saw Blondie.  He was running the show.  He knew I was there, none of the other Elk did.  He moved them down the hill out of my sight, but stuck around obscured by trees keeping a keen eye on me.  I could have taken a shot on him that day, but I didn't.  It would have been 81 yards, uphill, in pouring rain, and partially obscured by ferns.  He walked.  I followed.  He disappeared.

Two weeks of hard weekend hunting later without seeing Blondie again, I got off work early on a Tuesday.  5 mins into my hunt, I heard his bugle - it was very unique. 

I've watched tons of YouTube videos on bugling, and I'll always remember watching one that said the more creative you were with your calling, the more real it would sound to Elk.  Blondie was creative.  He had a wild raspy high pitched scream followed by a series of bass tone barks unlike any bull I'd heard before.

I worked my way downwind of where the bugle had come from and immediately found the herd about 1000 ft downhill from where I had seen them opening day.  There was Blondie.

Blondie didn't give me a shot that day, nor did he give me one of the following Thursday.

Saturday was going to be a long day of hunting.  I got out there at 5AM, and slowly descended into the woods.  at 7:30 I heard Blondie bugle, and another bull respond.  I worked my way to the bottom of the hill and ascended to his area.

Then I saw a cow.  I dropped.

Concealed by ferns, I watched in awe as a heard of Elk slowly moved around me.  I counted 27 cows, all within 40 yards.  I could hear two bulls squaring off in a drainage ahead of me, so I sat there and waited.

I waited about 20 mins, surrounded by cows, when Blondie emerged, then descended back into the drainage and began screaming at another bull.  The other bull responded.  It sounded like WW3 in the drainage, and eventually Blondie returned.

Blondie came in HOT.  Right at me.  I was ready to take a frontal on a charging bull, but instead he turned broadside right behind a tree I'd ranged at 16 yards.  He started munching on a tree, and was mid meal when my arrow punched right through his heart and dropped him on the spot.

Blondie down.

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
Re: Blondie
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »
Congrats, thats awesome you were able to target a bull and then kill him! Well done!!!

I do want to hear more about the AR incident...what in the heck? How did you know what they did? Did they damage anything?

Offline babaffo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 08:40:01 PM »
Congrats, thats awesome you were able to target a bull and then kill him! Well done!!!

I do want to hear more about the AR incident...what in the heck? How did you know what they did? Did they damage anything?

Just left a pile of fresh brass at the top of the campsite.  Pretty shitty thing to do on opening day of archery elk.

Offline sjl2012

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 06:45:52 AM »
Congrats on the bull. Any progress with the girl at the gym???? :train:

Offline babaffo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:16:58 PM »
Congrats on the bull. Any progress with the girl at the gym? ??? :train:

:help2:

Offline Ike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:10:06 AM »
Great Roos....Congratulations
Pro Defiant Shooter #Bowhunter

Offline nclonghunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 06:20:39 AM »
Great bull, Congrats!
If wisdom is the reward for aging, I will always be young

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 04:08:30 AM »
Awesome job!!!  :thewave:

Offline babaffo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 03:50:06 PM »

UPDATE:  THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.  I repeat, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »

UPDATE:  THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.  I repeat, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

:haha: :haha: :haha: pretty funny stuff right there.

Offline 2MANY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »
Did the gym cow use the estrus buzz or excited mews to convey her intent??

Offline Billy Goat

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
cool story and congrats on a great bull. 

agree that it's pretty awesome that you targeted and harvested a specific animal. I am FAAAAR less picky! 

Offline babaffo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:21 AM »
Did the gym cow use the estrus buzz or excited mews to convey her intent??

Ez estrus

Recent Posts

Re: First ever elk hunt ends with a goose egg! by cnelk
[November 15, 2019, 01:52:33 PM]

Re: First ever elk hunt ends with a goose egg! by cohunter14
[November 15, 2019, 12:17:22 PM]

Re: New Calling Series on YouTube by Justelk13
[November 15, 2019, 12:06:34 PM]

Re: 2019 Elk Story Contest!!! by Elkreaper101
[November 15, 2019, 11:57:47 AM]

My wife and I 2019 hunting story by Elkreaper101
[November 15, 2019, 11:52:02 AM]