December 09, 2019, 01:19:25 AM

Author Topic: My wife and I 2019 hunting story  (Read 259 times)

Offline Elkreaper101

• View Profile
My wife and I 2019 hunting story
« on: November 15, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
Im gonna start with my wifes hunt, for the major reason it took 4 years of hard work and blood sweat and tears.
We started off on opening morning with no fresh sign and no idea on where to start, we walked around 3-5 miles that morning and ended the morning. The evening hunt we decided to hunt high elevation in hopes that the elk werent pushed down by pressure. I was right. Tracks and droppings everywhere just couldnt get close enough to see them. As we headed back down the logging road, I spotted 4 elk, 2 cows and 2 this year calves. I started mewing at them in hopes of a response or a bull would emerge, no bull so we went back to elk camp.
Fast forward to the 3rd day. We awaken in a fierce blistering cold front that swept through dumping snow all around us. That morning we headed out and with the snow it was easy to see the tracks and beds of this amazing elk my wife and I have come to love hunting, we made a big loop around a ridge top in thinking they bedded down in the thicket, I was wrong, they kept high and ran over the next ridge. Feeling defeated my wife told me to what i would do in this situation, I figured I knew where they would be at but no body knows 100% of the time. The evening hunt we went out earlier than Im used to. We headed down this draw and I stopped, gut feeling for me to glass, I glasses the side of the ridge and panning my way down to the flats in front of us. ELK!! I whispered Im excitement. My wife asked where and I told her in front of us, and their is a bull. She raised her rifle up, settled in, fired!..... Miss, we started tracking them with no blood I used Coreys signature elk101 the champ call. We were in the tracks for about 150-200 yards. I stopped and looked up, cow elk 30 yards above us. I said elk again, couldnt see the bull. My wife said Bull I said where, hes coming out, I mewed a few times and he stopped, quartering towards us, she fires, drilled him in the heart and lungs. He takes off and crashes. A calf bolts down the hill to the left. We wait and wait. Decided to have a look in hopes of a massive elk was laying down in front of us, we climbed up and couldnt find no blood, we went higher, I looked to the right and there he was. I tapped my wifes shoulder and said YOU DID IT BABE!!! Best feeling is to see the ones you love harvest.

My story,
Decided to archery hunt this year in hopes for a new experience. Hunted weekends off and on till Sunday the 22nd of September, my dad was finally able to join me on this morning hunt, as we were walking up a steep ridge to get to a plateau, I was cow calling, we hugged the tree line and was about to round a tree only 20 yards away from a game trail, I saw a elk behind some brush. I looked back at my dad and said elk, I quickly nocked a Arrow and was creeping up for a shot opportunity, he looked at me while I was at full draw and trotted to the left, I mewed and he stopped broad side, I released my arrow. HIT. He runs off down the ridge and we sat. My dad said lets go look for blood we walked up to the spot he was and looked down, he was laying down but still alive. I crawled down to 20 yards and he stood back up and I drilled him again double lung, as we watched him trot down the trail, he went into the brush, I looked at my dad and asked what the bull was doing. As we watched for the first time my dad and I witnessed a elk pulling out my arrow, I decided to send one more arrow, 3 arrows double lungs on each of them. As I seen him fall, I knew I was hooked on archery.

Offline ribo451

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Re: My wife and I 2019 hunting story
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:09:51 PM »
Sounds like a great year. Now where are the photos?

Offline Elkreaper101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:39:22 AM »
My wifes elk

Offline Elkreaper101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 07:40:31 AM »
My archery elk

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator