August 11, 2020, 06:16:04 PM

Author Topic: Idaho 36-B  (Read 331 times)

Offline hawker

• View Profile
Idaho 36-B
« on: June 12, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
I just purchased otc elk and deer tags for 36B in Idaho. Im seeking info on if grizzlies are a problem or concern from people with firsthand experience in the unit. Also if the elk are silent in the rut due to wolves. Any advice is appreciated as this will be the first time in this unit.
Thanks
You will never know how far you can go until you have risked going too far

Offline elk sicario

• View Profile
Re: Idaho 36-B
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 12:46:24 AM »
ive never set foot in 36b. i can tell you that i have seen zero grizzly sign in 36a. one of the packers said that he "wasnt foolin around this year"(2018) and brought his long gun for wolves. elk were hard to find until the magical day they all piped a bugle, and then the next day they were quiet again. I havent been back there for several years, but im probably going to this year and have purchased a wolf tag with plans to fill it. My take on it is if you are used to hunting washington odds, it doesnt matter if you pick the worst or the best unit in all of idaho, you are going to have a good hunt. one of the biologists told us a unit we considered deer hunting had low numbers of deer...he said you might only see 30 deer in a day. I need not go down the rabbit hole of poor game managment in washington, but suffice it to say that i might see 30 deer in 10 days if i count several of the same deer twice. I say it doesnt matter what is in 36b...anything is better than washington.
I have a certain set of skills. Skills which have been obtained by spending my life in the woods. I know how to send a message and make it hurt. I will leave the headless carcasses of the fallen in my wake. I am elk sicario.

Offline hawker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
Thank you for the info on bears and wolves. I dont know how you got the idea that I hunted or was from Washington. Im from central California and I normally hunt Colorado and Utah.
As much as I would love to hunt a wolf, I just dont see myself packing a long gun for the archery season. :tease:
You will never know how far you can go until you have risked going too far

Offline beerfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:44:52 PM »
I usually archery hunt 36B, and I like to backpack up in that unit. I have never seen a griz, but I have seen black bear. I have seen a few cougar tracks, and a few wolf tracks. I have never heard the wolves, but they are there. Lastly, I usually only have time to hunt the first week opener of Archery and the elk aren't very vocal yet.

Recent Posts

2020 Idaho Super Hunt Elk by rossborden1@gmail.com
[August 09, 2020, 06:27:28 PM]

Re: Idaho panhandle where to get info by JRC
[August 09, 2020, 05:04:10 PM]

Re: 2nd year rookie Colorado unit question 161 or 421 by rlurben
[August 09, 2020, 07:25:58 AM]

Idaho panhandle where to get info by Nwelkhntr
[August 08, 2020, 08:03:55 PM]

Re: Wife FSOT by ribo451
[August 08, 2020, 12:12:14 PM]