September 26, 2021, 03:30:48 AM

Author Topic: 2020 Hunt Update Thread  (Read 4385 times)

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
2020 Hunt Update Thread
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:30 AM »
The 2020 Elk Season is upon us. Use this thread as a place to check in and to post updates as to how things are going in your hunt. Heading out? On the road? Made it to camp and have cell service? Hearing bugles? Got one down? Let us know! It's a great way for those who aren't currently in the woods to live vicariously through you!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:12:15 AM by cohunter14 »

Offline Bowhunter1

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Hunt Update Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »
It's a great way for those who aren't currently in the woods to live vicariously through you!

Updates of screaming bulls and bulls down is another way to torment the ones hunting later in the season.  :haha:
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - but the size of the fight in the dog. "

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 06:48:57 AM »
It's a great way for those who aren't currently in the woods to live vicariously through you!

Updates of screaming bulls and bulls down is another way to torment the ones hunting later in the season.  :haha:

Very true!!!

Offline montanaelk31

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 10:56:02 PM »
Elk from this morning. Bulls with velvet hangin
"The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Offline Maldavis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 08:10:06 AM »

Or the ones who arent hunting at all this year for whatever reason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 09:16:23 AM »

Holy moly! That is one heck of a group of elk. I counted 212 that I see.

Offline montanaelk31

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 10:23:45 PM »

Holy moly! That is one heck of a group of elk. I counted 212 that I see.

More in the trees! Dont beat yourself up. Limited entry unit that I dont have a tag for. Just near home...

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 07:04:37 AM »
More in the trees! Dont beat yourself up. Limited entry unit that I dont have a tag for. Just near home...

That is awesome! I'd get a little distracted with that kind of action close to home  :lol:

Offline montanaelk31

• Satelite Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »
Elk bugling at night here in SW Montana.  Since thursday....

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
Elk bugling at night here in SW Montana.  Since thursday....

Awesome!!!! It's coming quick!

Offline hawker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »
Any word from central Idaho? We leave day after tomorrow and start our hunt on Friday.
Im really hoping that the wolves havent clammed up the bugling!
You will never know how far you can go until you have risked going too far

Offline jspencer

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »
I shot my bull opening day Aug 30th in the Sawtooth zone.  He was bugling and came in looking for the source of the 1 bugle I had thrown out.  I was hunting solo so I had moved 100-150 yards toward him and more down wind.  He didn't know I was even there.  He wouldn't answer the cow call as there were lots of those in the area.  He was not bugling loud, but it lead to his demise.  Good luck to all!

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 03:16:43 PM »
I shot my bull opening day Aug 30th in the Sawtooth zone.  He was bugling and came in looking for the source of the 1 bugle I had thrown out.  I was hunting solo so I had moved 100-150 yards toward him and more down wind.  He didn't know I was even there.  He wouldn't answer the cow call as there were lots of those in the area.  He was not bugling loud, but it lead to his demise.  Good luck to all!

Congrats! Let's see some pics if you got them. Get that meat pole thread rolling for the season!

Offline ribo451

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »
Opening day was good for me. I didn't shoot anything so it wasn't great but I was into elk right out of the car. I heard a bugle 200 yards from where I was parked. I walked up in that direction and ran into a spike and a 2 point at 40 yards. If they had stood there for another 10 minutes I could have shot as it was before legal time but they didn't wait that long. I called a few times and the herd bull that was bugling came down to within 30 yards but I never saw him. I could hear him bugling and walking around me but it was too thick on that side of me to see anything. I got a good look at him at about 150 yards when he went back up to his cows. Another spike came down to play with the other two little guys. By that time the sun was up and that hillside was getting hot. The little guys went into the timber on my right and the herd went left towards a wallow. The thermals had shifted so I couldn't follow. I went up and over to come down on them and ran into a 4 or 5 point satellite covered in mud coming out of that wallow. I had him at 40-50 yards for 20 minutes but never had an opportunity.  He was interested in my cow calls but  he knew something was up. The herd bull kept bugling as I was playing with the little guy but he didn't come back. It was too hot and noisy to sneak anywhere very quietly so I sat over that wallow for several hours till the wind started blowing up towards that bedding area the herd had gone towards so I left.

Today I got a late start. The wind was blowing hard and swirling. I spotted the two point and one of the spikes but I was 150 yards away when the swirling wind gave me away. Conditions are supposed to be much better the next several days so I backed out and went to work for a few hours.

I heard a ton of bugles including a bull on the mountain behind me and saw 5 different bulls and had 4 of them in bow range so I thought it was a pretty good start to the year. Heading back tomorrow.

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
Opening day was good for me. I didn't shoot anything so it wasn't great but I was into elk right out of the car. I heard a bugle 200 yards from where I was parked. I walked up in that direction and ran into a spike and a 2 point at 40 yards. If they had stood there for another 10 minutes I could have shot as it was before legal time but they didn't wait that long. I called a few times and the herd bull that was bugling came down to within 30 yards but I never saw him. I could hear him bugling and walking around me but it was too thick on that side of me to see anything. I got a good look at him at about 150 yards when he went back up to his cows. Another spike came down to play with the other two little guys. By that time the sun was up and that hillside was getting hot. The little guys went into the timber on my right and the herd went left towards a wallow. The thermals had shifted so I couldn't follow. I went up and over to come down on them and ran into a 4 or 5 point satellite covered in mud coming out of that wallow. I had him at 40-50 yards for 20 minutes but never had an opportunity.  He was interested in my cow calls but  he knew something was up. The herd bull kept bugling as I was playing with the little guy but he didn't come back. It was too hot and noisy to sneak anywhere very quietly so I sat over that wallow for several hours till the wind started blowing up towards that bedding area the herd had gone towards so I left.

Today I got a late start. The wind was blowing hard and swirling. I spotted the two point and one of the spikes but I was 150 yards away when the swirling wind gave me away. Conditions are supposed to be much better the next several days so I backed out and went to work for a few hours.

I heard a ton of bugles including a bull on the mountain behind me and saw 5 different bulls and had 4 of them in bow range so I thought it was a pretty good start to the year. Heading back tomorrow.

Great update! Good luck tomorrow!!!

Recent Posts

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:19:37 AM]

Re: 3 bulls screaming at each other within 200 yards-I couldnt pull one. Advise? by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:15:02 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:11:03 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by cohunter14
[September 24, 2021, 09:10:16 AM]

Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole by sjl2012
[September 24, 2021, 08:35:27 AM]