September 27, 2021, 10:35:35 PM

Author Topic: Tire chains  (Read 999 times)

Offline Army of Dad

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Tire chains
« on: August 20, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »
We are hunting southern Wyoming for the last two weeks of September.

We are driving up from Texas and think it might be a good idea to have tire chains in case of an unexpected snow storm.

Weve never had cause to use chains down here and I have no idea about types. Doing a quick search I see some cheaper ones that say cable tire chains. Those make me wonder if Im getting what I pay for...

Any thoughts about type to get or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wapiti_will

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Re: Tire chains
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:27:59 PM »
Don't think cable ones will help much at all other than maybe on packed snow/ice.  In deep snow or mud, the larger the chain the better.  If you have larger tires like me, the best option out there (in my opinion) is to get a set of v-bar chains for a semi-truck and cut them down to the length you need for your tires.  Those are beefy as hell, will last a lifetime, and usually have the cam locks (also highly recommended for cinching them super tight), but will be pricey if you can't score a good deal on a new or used set.  You can also spend less and get the same style (v-bar w/cam locks) for pickup trucks in your tire size, they are just not quite as beefy as the semi ones.
GET FIRED UP!

Recent Posts

Re: Scouting pics by Gonzoman10
[Today at 04:43:48 PM]

Cool Game Pics 2021 Season by Gonzoman10
[Today at 04:37:18 PM]

Re: Short bow and bad shots by cohunter14
[Today at 07:46:51 AM]

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by cohunter14
[Today at 07:32:56 AM]

Short bow and bad shots by mindburn
[September 26, 2021, 09:17:36 PM]