June 18, 2021, 03:52:37 PM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other Big Game Hunting / Wyoming Draw Results Posted
« Last post by Rdub on June 17, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »
Wyoming has posted their draw results this morning
Hunting Gear / Re: Spotting scope questiono
« Last post by wl704 on June 17, 2021, 04:57:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies/suggestions on the Maven line. I'll take a look at them as well as the Leupold lineup. I agree that for most of the time I'll be using my binos.

I do have a trip to AK planned in the next few years so I'll definitely be using the spotter then.
Another option, if you're planning for the AK trip, would be to rent. Especially if that hunt was a sheep hunt, you'll want really good glass.
General Elk Hunting / Re: Dealing with left overs in Grizzly Country
« Last post by WyatBaker on June 16, 2021, 10:56:36 PM »
what's the update on your elk hunt? Did you guys go for it?
Hunting Gear / Re: Spotting scope questiono
« Last post by WyatBaker on June 15, 2021, 10:16:12 PM »
Athlon Talos 20-60x80mm

I have been using his for over a year now and its held up to everything he can throw at it. From industry events to shooting matches, this is a workhorse spotting scope that just delivers.

The glass is clear enough to call shots out to at least 800 yards, but seeing hits on a splatter target is limited to around 300 yards depending on the target and the weather.

One nice thing is that the Talos comes with a build in sunshade, this is a minor detail but its a nice perk.

Plus a carry bag and bench height tripod are nice too!

A 45-degree eyepiece that is fully adjustable rotation gives you a lot of freedom for how to position things. From pone on the ground to sitting at a bunch, you can get a good sight picture when you need it.
Hunting Gear / Re: Elk trip help needed
« Last post by WyatBaker on June 14, 2021, 10:25:48 PM »

You may consider any of the following:

• Burris 200116 Eliminator 4-16x50x96 Scope
  • Nikon ProStaff 4-12 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope
  • Carl Zeiss Optical Conquest HD5 5-2550 Rapid-Z
Hunting Gear / Re: Battery Powered Trail Bikes
« Last post by WyatBaker on June 13, 2021, 10:36:21 PM »
Mountain bikes works better in country road hunting. I often use this.
Elk Hunting Tips & Tactics / Re: High Altitude 12k+ archery Elk
« Last post by NateW on June 13, 2021, 06:30:55 AM »
Thanks for the tips!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elk Hunting Tips & Tactics / Re: High Altitude 12k+ archery Elk
« Last post by WyatBaker on June 12, 2021, 10:04:28 PM »
be in the best shape you can be in for your hunt. Being physically fit at any altitude is a big help.
  • try to arrive at altitude at least 48 hours before youll undertake any strenuous physical activity even horseback riding. The more time you can spend acclimating to the elevation before your hunt begins, the better.
  • drink plenty of water.  Altitude sickness is often actually simple dehydration. At higher altitudes, water vapor is lost from the lungs more rapidly than at sea level. If you have a headache, drink a liter of water or Gatoraid ant take some asprin or Tylenol. If your headache goes away quickly chances are youre mostly experiencing dehydration.
  • avoid caffeine and alcohol. These can increase the likelihood of dehydration. If its humid and youre losing a lot of water through perspiration, maintain electrolyte balance with sports drinks designed specifically for this purpose.
  • take it easy. It is harder to breathe at higher altitude and even if you are fit, you can still feel the effects if you push yourself too hard too quickly. Resting at the altitude at which you became ill is often the most effective remedy.
  • if you feel sick to your stomach, focus on objects at your same elevation or above you. Do not focus on your feet or the valley below you. Keep your head up. Breathe deeply, but slowly and steadily.
Other Big Game Hunting / Re: 2021 CO antelope unit recommendations
« Last post by cohunter14 on May 31, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »
Randy, I see that AF011O1R took 5 preference points to draw this year. AM011O1R took 15 preference points. Those took 4 and 15 points in 2020. Looks like you might have gotten hit with some point creep on the doe tag?
Other Big Game Hunting / Re: 2021 CO antelope unit recommendations
« Last post by Rdub on May 31, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
I have been putting in for AF011R for the last six years ( one pp required ). This year I put in for AM011R since I had 6pps. My second choice was AF011. Net result still getting points. Now have enough points might as well go for something better so we will see.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Recent Posts

Wyoming Draw Results Posted by Rdub
[June 17, 2021, 03:10:01 PM]

Re: Spotting scope questiono by wl704
[June 17, 2021, 04:57:40 AM]

Re: Dealing with left overs in Grizzly Country by WyatBaker
[June 16, 2021, 10:56:36 PM]

Re: Spotting scope questiono by WyatBaker
[June 15, 2021, 10:16:12 PM]

Re: Elk trip help needed by WyatBaker
[June 14, 2021, 10:25:48 PM]