September 27, 2021, 04:15:12 PM

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Elk Hunting / Re: Colorado GMU 70
« Last post by iamsteve03 on September 20, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »
Hey everyone. Texas outfitter doing my first DOY colorado Archery hunt this year. Unit 70. Anyone have any input, every hunted , info on this area? Thank you
Hey, I am from this area, do you know about any future hunting ventures this year?
General Elk Hunting / Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread
« Last post by cohunter14 on September 19, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
We hunted the 8th through 13th. Got on elk a couple of times but never got a shot. The elk were silent in both cases. It was HOT, which I am thinking had something to do with the elk being so quiet.
General Elk Hunting / Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread
« Last post by Jason Balazs on September 17, 2021, 06:23:19 PM »
Well got to the area I am hunting today. It has had a recent burn, ughh. Sitting high on a hill glassing other valleys to try to find elk. Oh, and dont get me started on the amount of people out here
General Elk Hunting / Re: 2021 Elk Meat Pole
« Last post by cohunter14 on September 14, 2021, 07:33:25 AM »
Congrats Elk Noob and SJL2012!!!  :thewave:
General Elk Hunting / Re: arrow penetration on big bull
« Last post by cohunter14 on September 14, 2021, 07:30:51 AM »
Any luck?
« Last post by Jason Balazs on September 13, 2021, 03:13:34 PM »
I leave on Thursday. I pray the ML hunters have given up by this weekend.
Elk Hunting Tips & Tactics / Re: Walking up, pushing bull and cows
« Last post by ribo451 on September 12, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »
If he hung around a bit and eventually wandered off I would say he isn't spooked too badly, but Elk Noob is right. He could be 2 mountains away and still be in his home range.
I would go back and hunt that area until you confirm he is gone and then I would look into other areas. I would probably start one or two drainages over and call to see if you can locate him or other elk again. They might not come in but they should be willing to respond to a call right now.
« Last post by ribo451 on September 12, 2021, 02:45:22 PM »
Congrats.

Season started good for me with elk encounters every day but now the only tracks I am seeing are 4-wheelers. (which aren't supposed to be there)
I've exhausted my first 3 areas so now it's on to plan D. 2 days of work next week and then I can go back to wandering the woods.
General Elk Hunting / Re: arrow penetration on big bull
« Last post by ribo451 on September 12, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
I'm far from a pro but I know they can live a long time with one intact lung. If placement was good on a broadside bull I would guess it must have hit a rib and turned. I can't tell from the photo. Is the blood on the ground frothy? I think one lung is enough to be fatal but it might take a while. He will probably have to cough up blood that is leaking into a lung even if he isn't bleeding on the outside.
If he bleeds enough he will eventually need to replace that fluid and will get thirsty so if you don't have any luck trailing him and have to start grid searching I would poke around the nearest water source first.
General Elk Hunting / arrow penetration on big bull
« Last post by Dougisnow on September 11, 2021, 09:47:12 PM »
need some pro advice. I hunted this morn and had a big 5x5 bull come within 15y but the brush was too thick to shoot, and he spun around before my shooting lane. Fortunately my buddy watched it all from 40y away and when the bull trotted past him at 15y he cow called and stopped him, then stuck him good from 15y.  he ran 50y and looked back and we saw the placement was perfect, he was leaking with half the arrow sticking out... we waited almost an hour before we started looking for him, and we found him bedded 300y away.  he was alert, head up and looking around. we posted up and glassed him from 200y for 3 more hours.  he was standing the majority of the time, but laying down too.  he was clearly hurting, lifting his front legs often, but alert. and it appeared he had stopped bleeding and the arrow was gone (we found it later, 8" missing).. then, after 3hrs and assuming he was almost done, he got up and walked away from us, into woods and we lost sight of him. 
3 of us have been looking for him ever since.  :(  no blood trail (other than where he bedded), nothing.  i can only think that even though it looked like the perfect double lung shot, it may have hit a rib and only got 1 lung?  is that possible when half the arrow is bloody and 8" is still inside him?  we just gave up the search for the night and will resume first thing tomorrow, we haven't lost hope yet but things have gone from elation to near devastation... any advice or suggestions are appreciated! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Recent Posts

Re: Short bow and bad shots by cohunter14
[Today at 07:46:51 AM]

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by cohunter14
[Today at 07:32:56 AM]

Short bow and bad shots by mindburn
[September 26, 2021, 09:17:36 PM]

Re: 3 bulls screaming at each other within 200 yards-I couldnt pull one. Advise? by ribo451
[September 26, 2021, 01:57:10 PM]

Re: 2021 Hunt Update Thread by ribo451
[September 26, 2021, 01:53:34 PM]