March 28, 2020, 06:17:38 AM

Author Topic: How Has The University of Elk Hunting Helped You?  (Read 3352 times)

Offline DTP

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
Re: How Has The University of Elk Hunting Helped You?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
Well done, Lang!

Offline SteveR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
Just completed my first run thru the course. Starting 2nd pass. Great course. Loved it. So much real world info based on experience, not just theory.  Increased my confidence. Instead of wandering aimlessly, I now feel I can make a good plan to increase my odds.
Love the 2 man setup....thats going in the playbook right away.
Got me committed to training harder.
And I'm quite pleased with my progress practicing calls...more progress with cow calls than bull bugles so far, but practicing every day (driving the wife nuts!). Contender is working best for me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:21:48 PM by SteveR »

Offline Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 01:38:58 AM »
I've elk hunted every year since '78. Started with rifle then muzzle loader then into archery in '15. Took 6 or 8 cows but never a Bull. I've had a lot of encounters, one really disappointing blood trail but just couldn't get it done.
I would tell my hunting companions that they would be smart to do the exact opposite of whatever my hunting plan was because, "I'm the world's worst elk hunter."
Took the Elk101 course last spring and now, after 40+ years, I have a 6x6 Bull on the wall.
Did Elk101 make it easy? Nope, at 57 it was by far the single most physically exhausting day of my life. But I was prepared physically and mentally.
After spotting the Bull I started my solo accent in 8" of snow at 8200", 1/3 mi later I was at 9200". That's about 1.5' vertically for every 1' forward.
After another 1/2 mile hike I stood behind a dead tree in the wind for 2 hours waiting for him to get up and feed again. 400 yd shot put him down but he slid 300 yds down into a bowl.
That's when the work began.

If your unsucessful and discourged with your unfilled Elk tags take the course.
Most importantly be physically prepared to work harder than you ever imagined. Late season Elk hunting will hurt you.

Cory, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to put together the 101 course. You showed me exactly what I had been doing wrong all these years. So many weeks wasted meandering through the woods hoping to find a Bull.
Thank You!

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 08:09:21 AM »
Congratulations Karl! Lets see some pictures of that bull!

Offline Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 08:09:31 PM »
Pics
Smooth area in the snow behind my head is where he was sliding down. The tree finally  stopped him.

Offline dynamike33

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:36 AM »
I've been archery elk hunting mostly solo for about 7 years, 6 of those years I was able to put elk in the freezer with my bow in Idaho and Nevada. But, I'd never been able to seal the deal on a bull, Id called several in very close but it just didn't happen.
 I'm 60 so like Randy says I've got a lot more hunts in the rear-view than in front of me so I decided I needed to shorten the learning curve if I was going to fulfill my dream of getting a bull, so last spring I signed up for UEH and found a lot of information that I'd learned from experience, and a lot that I knew but it just "clicked' when I saw it on the course, so I took that information and some new tidbits that Id learned into the steep and deep of Idaho last fall.
 With a ton of hard work, and year round dedication I was able to get in close and call a nice Idaho 6x6 into 8 yards where he fell from a frontal shot. DIY, solo from the hunt to the packout. Great time.
 I'd say that this course is great if you're new to elk hunting and very useful even if you are a successful elk hunter, I learned a lot of things that I was able to add to my existing knowledge and I'm sure it played a role in my success.
 I'm a meat hunter and I think any elk is a trophy but we all dream of that nice bull I believe this course made me a better elk hunter.

Recent Posts

Re: UEH Cow Elk Section by Wyo67
[March 27, 2020, 08:31:05 AM]

Re: New to it all... by wapiti_will
[March 26, 2020, 11:06:14 PM]

Re: Colorado 2020 archery hunt by Bruffolo135
[March 26, 2020, 01:00:26 PM]

Re: New to it all... by trautman
[March 26, 2020, 08:00:59 AM]

Re: UEH Cow Elk Section by cohunter14
[March 26, 2020, 07:27:24 AM]