November 12, 2019, 02:22:12 AM

Author Topic: Calling  (Read 456 times)

Offline zclarkTOK

• View Profile
Calling
« on: September 02, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »
How early do you start calling before legal shooting time?

This will be my first year calling. My wife is about to kill me and Ive been walking around with a diaphragm in my mouth for the last two months but Ive got a decent enough cow call down to at least not scare anything away.

Im hunting on private land and usually starting in a blind over water and/or meadow to start the day before getting on my feet. Im usually in the blind about 1 hr before and am curious as to when I should put the feelers out to see if Im in the right spot.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WW

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
Re: Calling
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:13:27 AM »
That's hard to say. You can call just about any time. But if you get a response before daylite, stop calling and wait until legal shooting hours before you call again. You sure don't want anything coming in while it is still dark.

Offline nclonghunter

• Big Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
Location bugles could be used at any time. If one is bugling or cow calling close by and it is dark I would wait for gray light to start any interaction.
If wisdom is the reward for aging, I will always be young

Offline ribo451

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
I listen in the dark but I don't call at all. I have had elk in my lap in a matter of minutes in a few places including some in the dark that winded me and ended that hunt before it even began.

Offline zclarkTOK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:30:53 AM »
Does any one call on scouting trips?

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »

Does any one call on scouting trips?

When are you scouting and when are you hunting?

Offline zclarkTOK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »
Scouting this weekend. Hunting the 10/1-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Elk Noob

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
In the areas I Hunt I wouldn't call during scouting unless you're calling at night. If you aren't hunting I wouldn't call because imo I think that's a good way to get the bulls to go quiet during the day.

Offline cohunter14

• Global Moderator
  • Herd Bull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »
I probably wouldn't be calling in that scenario. Reason being, finding where bulls are now probably won't help you come Oct 1st. For the most part, the bulls aren't going to be in the rutting areas yet. By Oct 1, they should either be in those rutting areas or should be starting to head off on their own into their security areas for winter. If it were me, I would be trying to find where the cows are right now. That would be a good starting point.

Offline ChuckBC

• View Profile
    • Oland Engineering Limited
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 09:26:46 AM »

I am very pleased with my progress in learning how to call over the past 8 months. Thanks to Cory. I have had a lot of complements from my buddies but not so much from the elk. There were 3 of us split up and hunting in very mountainous and forested terrain with lots of cut blocks. Perhaps very much like northern Idaho. We were no more than 1/2 mile apart from each other. When I call it sounds very loud to me and I can feel my Bully Bugle tube resonate a bit to that slightly louder tone. But my partners said that they never heard me call. Is it me or the terrain I am in.  :train:

Chuck

Offline ribo451

• Raghorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 11:45:39 AM »
I have heard elk call from over a mile away on a calm day across a canyon and I have been just over a hill less than 400 yards from elk that my parents were listening to that I never heard. Terrain can really effect how far sound will travel.

Offline ChuckBC

• View Profile
    • Oland Engineering Limited
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
Thanks Ribo451. That helps me regain my confidence. It also gives me confidence that the very faint bugle reply I thought I heard a few times were actually elk.

Recent Posts

Re: Finally its 4th Season by cnelk
[Today at 12:26:23 AM]

Re: Finally its 4th Season by cohunter14
[November 11, 2019, 09:57:37 PM]

Finally its 4th Season by Rdub
[November 11, 2019, 09:21:27 PM]

Re: 2019 Other Big Game Hunting - meat pole by DTP
[November 11, 2019, 11:55:59 AM]

Re: 2019 Other Big Game Hunting - meat pole by DTP
[November 11, 2019, 11:55:32 AM]