My day pack consists of many of the same items that most hunters carry. Some are more crucial than others and I will try and highlight them.
I’ve used the Black’s Creek “Hunter” Pack for the past couple years, but this year I’ll be using the Sitka Ascent 14 pack.
MUST HAVE ITEMS
– 2 KNIVES AND A SHARPENER. I ALSO CARRY A KNIFE ON MY BELT . THE FILET KNIFE IS EXCELENT FOR BONING. IVE ADDED THE HAVELON PARANTA REPLACEABLE BLADE KNIFE TO MY ARSENAL
– 2 TYPES OF FIRE STARTERS AND A CANDLE TO START DAMP TENDER.
– WATER, WATERPURIFIER, GPS, FLAGGING RIBBON, TRAIL MIX AND GRANOLA BAR, HEADLAMP, EXTRA BATTERYS, ROPE, AND MEAT BAGS .
– PAIN RELIEVER, BAND-AIDS, W/A ENERGY BLAST
– FOR LONG WET/COLD ALL DAY HUNTS I’LL TAKE MY JETBOIL AND A MTN HOUSE MEAL AND AN EXTRA PINT OF WATER IN ADDITION TO SANDWICHES. ALL OTHER TIMES I PACK TWO HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICHES ON BAGLE WITH CREAM CHEESE.
– BACK AT THE TRUCK I LEAVE MY “BULL PACK” PACK FRAME FOR JUST IN CASE. SOME TIMES WHEN THE AREA I’M HUNTING IS EXTRA STEEP AND DEEP, I WILL ATTATCH MY DAY PACK TO THE PACK FRAME.
My list is always changing to meet my needs. Hopefully this look inside my pack will help you in choosing your list of what to carry on your next elk hunt.